August 6, 2009
UW takes multiple top honors at national pharmacy meeting
Faculty, students and alumni from the University of Washington School of Pharmacy had an impressive showing at the recent American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) annual meeting in Boston. The AACP, the national organization that represents pharmacy education and educators, has a membership of almost 60,000 people.
Congratulations to the following members of the UW pharmacy community for their AACP honors.
• Pharmacy student Andrew Berry, ’10 (with his faculty mentor, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Jennifer Danielson), and pharmacy student Abby Frye, ’10 (with her faculty mentor, Associate Dean of Academic and Student Programs Nanci Murphy), were recognized as AACP/Wal-Mart Scholars at the meeting. The goal of these scholarships is to strengthen students’ commitment and skills for a career in academia by providing funding to attend the meeting.
• Students and recent graduates Andrew Berry, ’10, Nicole Even, ’09, and Megan Roseman, ’09, were invited to present posters at the meeting.
• Three School of Pharmacy posters — authored by Cynthia Clegg, Jennifer Danielson, Karan Dawson, Dana Hammer, Ellen Maddox, Nanci Murphy, Terri O’Sullivan, Peggy Odegard, Monica Sahn and Stan Weber — were presented at the meeting.
• Three UW faculty members were installed in AACP leadership positions. School of Pharmacy Senior Lecturer Karan Dawson is now the chair of the AACP continuing professional education section. Senior Lecturer in Pharmacy Dana Hammer is the secretary of the council of faculties. Annie Lam is the chair of the geriatric pharmacy special interest group.
• A team of UW students was named a finalist in the Pruitt-Schutte Student Business Plan Competition, sponsored by the National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA). The team — Alisha Fewins, ’11, Zsolt Hepp, ’12, Dana Ling, ’11, and Rachel Merrill, ’11 — will compete for first place against teams from the University of Arizona and the University of Georgia at the NCPA annual convention in October.
• Milo Gibaldi Endowed Professor of Pharmaceutics Rodney Ho accepted the AACP Paul R. Dawson Biotechnology Award. This annual award goes to a pharmacy educator who has made important contributions to contemporary teaching and scholarship in biotechnology.
• Alumnus and 2007 School of Pharmacy Distinguished Alumnus Duane Miller, ’69, accepted the Volwiler Research Achievement Award for his outstanding research and contributions to the field of pharmaceutical sciences.
• Associate Dean of Academic and Student Programs Nanci Murphy received an AACP Teacher of the Year Award. This honor stemmed from the Gibaldi Excellence in Teaching Award that she received from the Class of 2009 at the UW School of Pharmacy graduate recognition ceremony this past June.