March 1, 2007
Jazz, gospel and opera: School of Music has much to offer this week
A number of different experiences await audiences of the School of Music during the coming week, including jazz, gospel and classical, from bands, ensembles and choruses. Opera, too.
- A Composers Workshop will be held at 7:30 p.m. Friday, March 2, in the Brechemin Auditorium, featuring original works by student composers, for guitar, violin and cello, viola and computer electronics, bass and electronics, horns and recorded voices. Tickets are $5.
- Vocal jazz will be center stage at 7:30 p.m., Saturday, March 3, in the Brechemin Auditorium, when UW Women’s Vocal Jazz and UW Vocal Jazz 1 are joined by the Inglewood Junior High Jazz choir. Tickets are $5.
- Michael Jinsoo Lim, co-founder of the Corigliano Quartet and a popular solo performer on violin, will perform The American Violin, at 7:30 p.m. Monday, March 5, in the Brechemin Auditorium. Tickets are $5.
- The UW Gospel Choir, comprising more than 100 students and community members, will perform at 7 p.m. on Monday, March 5, in 130 Kane. Tickets are $5.
- The UW Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band and combined concert and campus bands will share the stage with the Calgary Wind Ensemble at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 6, in Meany Theater. Robin McCabe, director of the School of Music, will solo on George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue, performed by the UW Wind Ensemble. Tickets are $10.
- The UW Opera Workshop will present Gilbert and Sullivan’s Trial By Jury and perform the Northwest premiere of The Women, an opera by Thomas Pasatieri, as well as excepts from musical theater works by Stephen Sondheim and Frank Loesser. This will be at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 7 in the studio theater of Meany Hall. Tickets are $10.
- Also at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 7, Student Chamber Ensembles will present students performing in a variety of small ensembles. Tickets are $5. Finally, the UW Chamber Singers, the University Chorale and University Singers, together with the University Symphony Players, present an evening of Baroque choral masterpieces titled The Odd-Shaped Pearl: The Baroque Experience, at 7:30 p.m. Friday, March 9, in Meany Theater.
For tickets or more information on these events, visit online at www.music.washington.edu. Tickets may be obtained at the door for concerts in Brechemin Auditorium or Kane Hall. Tickets for Meany Hall events are on sale at the Arts Ticket office, 206-543-4880.