Looking Back: A Museology Student’s Reflection on their First Quarter

-Emma Reilly, Class of 2019

Emma Reilly planting with Green Seattle
Emma Reilly planting rose bushes with Green Seattle

Here I am, finished with my first quarter of graduate school writing an extra thing, AFTER FINALS, for UW Museology because I like it that much. Museology, study of the muses, has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? I’ve looked at dozens and dozens of other museum studies programs but this is the only one that stuck out to me. Part of that has to be credited to the name: to muse, or “to wonderingly gaze” really captures the heart of what museums are all about. I love this program because of the freedom it gives you to wonder and to explore, in our classes and our everyday lives.

One of the things I have been exploring this quarter is nature as a space for rejuvenation. For one of my classes I was encouraged to volunteer with a local organization, so a classmate and I planted rose bushes with with Green Seattle at North Beach Park. I’ve made it a goal to get out into nature once a week, and with all of the big parks close by, it hasn’t been too hard to make that happen. One of my favorite parks to explore is Ravenna Park because it is so close to campus, and is a great way to get a breath of fresh air after class. Some of the parks are so large you really don’t feel like you’re in a city anymore, and it’s wonderful to have that when you’re tired of exploring the different areas of Seattle’s urban landscape.  During orientation week, one of our advisors took us to is Discovery Park, which has a beach and a cool lighthouse!

Emma (left) and Melinda Rukavina (right) volunteering with Green Seattle.

I really appreciate all of the support that the program provides: from helping me get a job as soon as the year started to showing me a beautiful place to decompress after a tough week. I feel very cared about, not just as a student, but as a person with a variety of academic, personal, and professional interests. I regularly get updates about places to volunteer, events to attend, guided workshops, and internship and job opportunities. These resources make me feel secure, knowing that I have access to what I need to become the best museum professional that I can be, and also to have a great experience as a graduate student.