Great Falls, Montana - PEDS 666 P
Please meet with Geannine Rapp Purpura, the on-site WWAMI Coordinator, at 8:30 am on your first day. She will orient you to the pediatric department, get you set up in IT and then escort you over to Benefis at 9:30 am to meet with the medical staff before you go up to the floors by 10:00 am.
Clothes should be professional. No jeans are allowed except on weekends.
During this rotation, each student is required to take call one weekend in addition to one night per week. Weekend call is from 8:00 a.m. Saturday to 5:00 p.m. Sunday. Weekday call is from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. the next morning.
A pediatric literature search is required. This should result in a two or three page paper. You will need to do an informal presentation of this topic to the pediatricians and other interested parties in your last week here.
- Hospital Care:
All students rotate through days working as a "hospitalist" with one of the pediatricians. During those days, you will do newborn checks, attend c-sections, round on all the children on the pediatric floor and be involved in hospital admissions. Daily progress notes should be in the SOAP format. Admission history and physical need to be done within 24 hrs of admission.
- Office Evaluations:
- Well-child visits include complete examinations, anticipatory guidance, growth and development problems, behavior and learning problems and immunizations. These examinations are done on infants, toddlers, school-aged children and adolescents.
- Illness examinations
- Care of children with chronic diseases
- Other Activities:
- Specialty Clinics
- Cardiology, pulmonology, genetics, ophthalmology, endocrinology, neurology and developmental specialty clinics are held at the Great Falls Clinic.
- When WWAMI professors visit, they hold clinics in their specialty.
- Educational opportunities available outside the hospital and clinic
- Cascade county child abuse committee
- Sexual abuse committee
- Montana State School for the Deaf and Blind (contact Kim Schwabe 1-406-771-6017)
- Skyline High School (nontraditional/alternative high school)
- Head Start Program
- Planned Parenthood
- Hutterite Colony – contact Joe Waldner, manager of Fairhaven Colony in Ulm, MT. Phone number is 1-406-866-3350.