- The Pedatric Medical Student Office has a list of pediatric clinics in the Seattle area as well as a few peds
specialists located at Seattle Children's.
- Students are expected to complete at least 8 mornings with their preceptor
- ICM Goals for the Preceptorship
- Provide a mechanism for early patient contact
- Provide an opportunity to observe and possibly practice doctor-patient communication
- Learn about the practice of a particular specialty
- Provide one method for fulfilling continuity requirement
- Preceptorships are graded pass/fail
- Students at this level can do the following:
- Observation (of physician or other providers or staff)
- Obtain a patientís social history
- Obtain a patientís HPI or other components of medical database
- Additional activities based on studentís previous experience
- Obtain a patientís illness story or HPI (by mid-quarter)
- Obtain patientís vital signs or perform other parts of the physical exam (taught throughout the spring
- The UWSOM assigns 1st year students to pediatrics preceptorships throughout the academic year. The students
are assigned on a first come first serve basis.
- Any remaining spots are offered to 1st and 2nd year students requesting spots, also on a first come, first
- Registration Process
- Once we have matched students to preceptors, we will send out the add codes for you to register and
introduce you to your preceptor via email.
- Students are responsible for planning a schedule with the preceptor.
Please feel free to contact the Medical Student Office with any questions you may have:
Medical Student Coordinator
Pediatric Medical Student Office
4800 Sand Point Way
Seattle, WA 98105