Timeline - Applying for Pediatric Residencies
The following timeline outlines a few more details about applying for pediatric residencies:
Identify people to write letters of recommendation as you go through your clerkships
- Schedule electives; USMLE II and OSCEs
- Contact Pediatric career advising unit for assistance
- Read email sent to the class
- See FAQ about electives
- Assignment of Career Advisors
- Contact career advisor to:
- Review schedule/dd>
- Discuss application plans and reasons for applying to pediatrics/dd>
- Review timeline of application
Begin to review information about programs from websites
- Gather information about programs from websites
- Open ERAS application
- Contact people for writing letter of recommendations
- Write your personal statement.
- Meet with your career advisor (if you havenít done this).
- Talk with residents and visiting students about different programs during rotations.
- Attend BBQ with fellow students and residents about various programs.
- Make an appointment for a Chairmanís letter
- Submit your ERAS application
- Follow up on letters of recommendation
- Attend gathering at Dr. Stapletonís house to discuss interviewing.
- Follow up and make sure there are no problems with your ERAS application.
- Begin to schedule interviews.
October Ė mid January
- Interview and have fun.
- Keep track of each programís strengths, weaknesses and your general impressions.
- Write follow-up thank you notes.
- Discuss your impressions of programs with family and friends
- Begin to create your rank list
- Complete interviews
- Contact programs to indicate your interest in their program
- Review your rank list with your career advisor, college mentor etc.
- Submit your rank list.
- Match day and you are on your way!