Ever wonder how to get that nifty home icon on your top navigation bar? It’s actually just a simple class added to a menu item. If you’re using the UW WordPress theme and already know how to customize your top menu, then you’re ready for our step-by-step tutorial below.
Important: I should add that you’ll need to be hosted by the Web Team for this tutorial to work. You may have luck if you’re using self-hosting our WordPress theme, but your results will depend on what version you’re running and on what customizations you’ve made.
How to add a “home” icon to your top navigation menu
- From the WordPress Dashboard, go to Appearance > Menus.
- From the Menus page, click the Screen Options drop-down screen in the upper-right corner.
- Make sure CSS Classes checkbox is checked.
- Open (or create) your top navigation menu and add a menu item that points to your homepage.
- Expand the menu item by clicking the down arrow.
- Enter the text home-link in the “CSS Classes (optional)” field.
- Save your menu and view your site to see your new home icon.