This was originally posted on Chris Heiland’s staff blog while he was a member of the Web Team. Chris migrated this post to the Web Team blog before he left because we thought the content still had value to the UW community. In Part 1 it was all about the WP Importer class, now that… Read More
Moving content from one system to another is always a conversation, many times it makes sense to rewrite and think about each new article. The goal should always be cleanup and enhance the experience for the user. However, in some cases it makes sense just to automatically script the process for expediency or when content doesn’t need to be modified.
A long time ago there was Common Gateway Interface (CGI), people used it because there was nothing better available. If you wanted your programming language on the web to generate HTML, there was no other option. The benefit was you could really use any language your server could support which ranged from popular such as perl, to the outright wacky bash.
Scavenger Hunt is an application that utilizes several technologies to make everything work seamlessly. The actual site runs off the main HuskyFest site that is built on WordPress.
I’ve finally gotten around to solving an interesting problem. For security purposes our primary webserver is read-only which makes some normally trivial tasks extremely difficult. Originally the system was design to push static files to the front end cluster so the web server could deliver.
We had a problem where we needed two different varnish configuration files between our staging and production plone environments. Generating two files that do similar things is just too much work and unnecessary. However, there is a solution.
This was originally posted on Chris Heiland’s staff blog while he was a member of the Web Team. Chris migrated this post to the Web Team blog before he left because we thought the content still had value to the UW community. I can’t imagine why this would ever be useful but I wanted to… Read More
Here is a quick and dirty way to enable rolling dates on the UW Events Calendar. By default there are several date range options to choose from, however the best option to grab the next few weeks of events is the end of month option. The downside, of course, is on the last week or last day of the month, there are no or a limited amount of future events.
Generating and organizing data for the campus maps project is a constant journey. I’ve switched between several XML formats, with interesting results. Finally, I have landed on a blend of formats that gives adequate performance and allows for updating. I’ll probably split the entire process into several posts but here is the start. Originally I used the provided format that the GXml parser can understand.
I ended yesterday with two different success stories communicated with two entirely different systems. The cool part is I did it with a scripts written in python. The first system was SOAP based, the second was REST.