CommonView: A Cohesive Course Workspace
In addition to many enhancements to the Catalyst Web Tools released over the past several months, the Catalyst team has in the works a new tool called CommonView that makes it easy for instructors to create a course workspace providing students with online access to all sorts of course resources, including files, images, announcements, links, and Catalyst Web Tools. Design and development of CommonView is guided by the mantra, "Everything in one place, for you, for them." As illustrated in the prototypes below, faculty can easily organize and manage resources for each of their courses, and students can access course resources in one easy-to-use interface. The first functional release of CommonView is slated for Spring Quarter 2008.
You will be able to collect, organize, and share information and resources in an online space:
- Add files, links, images, and Catalyst Tools to your space
- Drag and drop these resources to quickly organize them for students and/or collaborators
- Add descriptions of your resources and provide instructions within the space to members of your class or work group
- Easily grant students or members of a work group access to the site you create
- Give collaborators access to help you with the class or project
- Post announcements in a dedicated, highly visible space
- Hide information while you are editing it; when ready, quickly make it available to class or group members
Learn more about the features and functionality in upcoming CommonView releases (PDF).