Create a Survey or Quiz
WebQ enables you to easily create online surveys or quizzes. You can create an online survey to gather data or information via the Web, or create a quiz to assess learning and provide feedback online.
Create a new survey
You can create a new survey to gather data and information over the Web. To create a survey, follow the steps below:
- On the WebQ home page, click New survey. You will move to the "Create a survey" page.
- Enter a name for your survey in the space provided. Each survey must have
a unique name. The name should help you identify the survey when working in
By default, the survey name will be displayed as the title of the survey when published. You can also enter a different title and/or subtitle that you want to display to participants on your published survey. Learn more about editing the appearance of your survey.
- Indicate if you want your survey to be confidential, or if it is subject to review by the University of Washington Human Subjects Division/IRB.
WebQ is approved by UW Human Subjects Division/IRB (HSD) for use with studies that involve a human population. If your research project is subject to HSD approval, you can be sure your survey uses the correct security settings, and facilitate the HSD process, by selecting this option. Learn more about using WebQ for HSD research or go to the HSD Web site.
- If you are creating a research survey, indicate how your data should be
gathered and stored:
Anonymous: No information that could be used to identify your survey participants will be recorded, including the date and time they took the survey.
Confidential: Identifying information can be gathered, depending upon which security setting you choose, but will be stored separately from participant responses to your survey. For confidential surveys, it is possible to correlate participant responses with participant identity.
- Click Next. You will move to the "Build survey" page. You can now begin adding questions and content to your survey.
Create a new quiz
You can create a new quiz to assess learning, knowledge, or skills via the Web. WebQ automatically scores multiple choice and matrix questions on quizzes. WebQ can also provide feedback about each question, and display scores and correct answers. You can choose what feedback and information is displayed, and when participants can view it.
To create a quiz, follow the steps below:
- On the WebQ home page, click New quiz. You will move to the "Create a quiz" page.
- Enter a name for your quiz in the space provided. Each quiz must have a
unique name. The name should help you identify the quiz when working in WebQ.
By default, the quiz name will be displayed as the title of the quiz when published. You can also enter a different title and/or subtitle that you want to display to participants on your published quiz. Learn more about editing the appearance of your quiz.
- Click Next. You will move to the "Build quiz" page. You can now begin adding questions and content to your quiz.
Add questions and content
On the "Build survey" or "Build quiz" screen, you can add questions and content to your survey or quiz. Adding questions is a two step process. First, select the type of question you would like to add. Then, create the question content and answer choices, and select settings and set quiz options (if applicable). After completing each question, you are returned to the "Build" screen, and can select the next question type you want to add to your survey or quiz. You can view our examples of the various question types available in WebQ.
To add questions or content, follow the steps below:
- On the "Build" screen, select a question type from the "Insert" menu at the top of the page, and then click Go. You will move to the "Add question" page for that question type.
- Follow the specific instructions for adding that question type. Use the
links below to view specific instructions for your question type.