There are a number of commonly used video editing applications. If you have little to no video editing experience, we recommend that you begin with a basic video editing application. Once you are comfortable with the software and are ready to move beyond the basics then you may want to consider a professional application designed for advanced users. The following list includes some of the most popular video editing applications from both of these categories for Mac and Windows.
VIDEO EDITING APPLICATIONS
- Apple iMovie (basic, Mac only)
- Windows Movie Maker (basic, Windows only)
- Adobe Premiere (advanced, Mac and Windows)
- Apple Final Cut Pro (advanced, Mac only)
- Sony Vegas (advanced, Windows only)
ADVANCED EFFECTS AND COMPOSITING
- Adobe After Effects (Mac and Windows)
- Apple Motion (Mac only)
ADVANCED AUDIO EDITING
- For additional information on audio editing see Digital Audio.
- For recording and mixing make a reservation for the Sound Studio.
FREE AND USEFUL APPLICATIONS*
- VLC - video player that supports many formats
- MPEG Streamclip - video converter, DVD ripper, and YouTube downloader
- HandBrake - DVD ripper
*All of these applications work on both Mac and Windows.