UW Email Tools
Additional Email ToolsYou may not be aware of the many email tools that UW offers. This guide will explain the functions and uses of some of these tools.
Supplemental Email AccountMore Information
The supplemental email account allows faculty to create additional email accounts. There are generally three types of supplemental accounts: departmental, clinical, and course.
- Departmental accounts are used to set up a department email (with multiple
users), and to create department homepage.
- Clinical accounts are special UW medicine accounts used for patient-identifiable
- Course accounts are used for individual courses or sections so that class mail does not get mixed in with personal mail.
Bulk EmailMore Information
Bulk email can be sent to large populations of the university: faculty, graduate and undergraduate student groups. However, it requires permission from the vice provost, provost, president or vice president.
Mailman is an email distribution manager that makes setting up email lists (such as a class list) easy. It offers many different options for controlling and moderating your list, such as adding and removing members, creating an auto response, dealing with bounced error messages, and handling problem subscribers. Lists are updated night to ensure that new members receive your messages.
Email Delivery ManagerMore Information
This is online service that contains many different options for sorting and filtering your email.
- Junk (spam) filtering: A highly customizable smart tool that scans incoming
mail for certain key phrases to determine if they are spam, then deletes or
sorts the message to a junk mail folder.
- Vacation auto-reply: A service that automatically replies to email sent
to your account with a predetermined message from you. This tool is useful
for explaining why you're unable to check your email and when you'll
- Incoming email sorting: Filters that allow you to sort incoming email into specific folders, as well as block unwanted email from any address. This tool is useful for organizing your email.
Email ProgramsMore Information
There are several options for checking your UW email, each with different pros and cons. Find out which program suits you best based on the speed, ease of use, and handling attachments.
Virus ScannerMore Information
Protect your computer by getting a virus scanning program. The UW offers a free virus scanner included in its UW Internet Connectivity Kit that will clean current viruses on your computer while keeping new ones out.