The page margins of the document can be changed using either the rulers on the page or the Page Setup window. The ruler method is discussed first:
- Move the mouse over the area where the white ruler changes to
- When the cursor becomes a double-ended arrow, click with the mouse and drag the margin indicator to the desired location.
- Release the mouse when the margin is set.
The margins can also be changed using the Page Setup dialog box:
- Select File > Page Setup and choose the Margins tab
in the dialog box.
- Enter margin values in the Top, Bottom, Left, and Right boxes. The Preview window will reflect the changes.
- If the document has Headers or Footers, the distance this text appears from the edge of the page can be changed.
- Click OK when finished.
Page Size and Orientation
- Select File > Page Setup and choose the Paper
- Select the proper paper size from the menu.
- Paper orientation (landscape or portrait) is changed in the Margin tab by clicking on the appropriate icon.
Headers and Footers
A header is text that is added to the top margin of every page, such as a document title or page number, and a footer is text added to the bottom margin. Follow these steps to add or edit headers and footers in the document:
- Select View > Header and Footer from the menu bar. The
Header and Footer toolbar will appear and the top of the page
will be activated as shown below.
- Type the heading in the Header box. You may use many of the standard text formatting options such as font face, size, bold, italics, etc.
- Click the Insert AutoText button to view a list of quick options available.
- Use the other options on the toolbar to add page numbers, the current date, and the time.
- To edit the footer, click the Switch Between Header and Footer button on the toolbar.
- When you are finished adding headers and footers, click the Close button on the toolbar.
Follow these instructions for another way to add page numbers to a document.
- Select Insert > Page Numbers from the menu bar and the
following dialog box will appear.
- Select the position of the page numbers by choosing "Top of page" or "Bottom of page" from the Position menu.
- Select the alignment of the page numbers in the Alignment menu.
- If you do not want the page number to show on the first page (if it is a title page, for example), uncheck the Show number on first page box.
- Click OK when finished.
Print Preview and Printing
Preview your document by clicking the Print Preview button on the standard toolbar or by selecting File > Print Preview. When the document is ready to print, click the Print button in the Print Preview screen or select File > Print.