Set up weighted grades
Weighting grades is useful if you do not want to rely solely on points to allow Canvas to determine your final grades. You can weight final grades for assignments either per assignment or per assignment group.Set up weighted grades in Assignments:
- From within your Canvas course, in the left-hand course navigation, click Assignments.
- At the top of the page, click the check box labeled Weight the final grade based on assignment groups.
- A menu with a list of your assignment groups appears on the right-hand side of the screen. Enter the appropriate percentages for each group. Your changes are saved automatically.
- From within your Canvas course, in the left-hand course navigation, click Grades.
- At the top of your Gradebook, next to Showing: All Sections, click the gear icon.
- From the drop-down menu, select Set Group Weights.
- On the menu that appears, click the check box labeled Weight the final grade based on groups. Your assignment groups will automatically be listed. Enter the appropriate percentages for each group.
- Click Save.
Weighting an assignment group does not affect the points of assignments within the group. Canvas uses points to effectively weight single assignments within that particular assignment group.
For example: A mid-term essay may be worth 50 points, while regular essays are worth 25 points, and all of these essays are within an assignment group marked "Essays." The mid-term will carry more "weight" than the regular essays in determining the average grade for the "Essays" assignment group, and that overall average will then be applied to the weighted assignment groups in determining final grades.