Migrate content from a previous Canvas course (non-UW)
Note: The steps that follow explain how to move content from a previous Canvas course that you taught at an institution other than the UW. If you need to move content from a Canvas course that you taught at the UW, please see Migrate content from a previous Canvas course (UW).
This process involves exporting your course to a file, then importing that file to your current Canvas course. The downloaded course file will have a file extention of *.imscc. This stands for the industry standard IMS Common Cartridge format. It is a type of zip file. You can change the extension from imscc to zip and treat it as any other zip file.
- Log in to canvas.uw.edu and hover over Courses & Groups.
- From the drop-down menu, select your course.
- From within your Canvas course, in the course navigation, click Syllabus.
- On the right side of the screen, in the sidebar, click Export Course Content.
- On the Content Exports screen, select Course, and then click Create Export. Wait a few minutes while the content is exported.
- When the export process is complete, click Click here to download to begin the download process. The file will download to your hard drive.
- In the left-hand navigation of your new course, click Settings.
- In the right-hand sidebar, click Import Content into this Course.
- Near the bottom of the Import Wizard screen, click Import content from a content package or from another system.
- On the Migrate from Another System screen, in the drop-down list, select Canvas Course Export Package.
- Click Choose File and select the .IMSCC file that you exported in the previous steps.
- Click Import Course.
- When Canvas imports your course, you will receive an email message with further instructions.