Import course content from Moodle
Importing a course into Canvas can be a quick, convenient method for getting content you've already created in Moodle into Canvas. When the import process works correctly, calendar content, syllabus content, and assignment content from Moodle migrates to the appropriate area in Canvas.
However, due to differences in file structures, internal links between documents may not work and items will need to be relinked. In addition, random items are sometimes lost somewhere between the backup and the restore, so individual items may have to be manually migrated.
Before you begin
Before you can import a Moodle course into Canvas, you must create an archive (.zip file) of your Moodle course.
- Log into canvas.uw.edu with your UW NetID and password.
- From the Courses menu, select your course.
- In the course navigation, click Settings.
- On the right side of the screen, in the sidebar, click Import Content into this Course. The "Import Wizard" page appears.
- On the "Import Wizard" page, click Import Content from a content package or from another system.
- On the "Migrate from Another System" page, from the menu, select Moodle 1.9 .zip file.
- Use the Browse button to navigate to and select the Moodle Archive .zip file that you want to import.
- When the file name of the file that you want to restore appears in the “Choose a .zip file to import” field, click Import Course.
- When your content is ready to import, you will receive an email confirmation. Click the link in the email message to start importing your course.
- On the page that you are directed to, select the items that you want to include in your course. By default, all items are checked, and you can choose to import everything.
- At the bottom of the page, click Import course content. Depending on the size of your course, the import process may take several minutes.
- In your Canvas course space, review the course content that you selected to include (such as assignments, syllabus, or calendar).