Archive Moodle course content
Before you can import a Moodle course, you must export the Moodle course as an archive (.zip file). Note: Creating an archive of a Moodle course is available in Moodle 1.9x, but not in Moodle 2.x.
Follow these steps to create an archive of your Moodle course:
- In your Moodle course, in the Administration menu (usually found on the left-hand side of the Moodle page), click Backup. A page containing the details of your course appears.
- On the upper-right corner of the page, click None to deselect all user data.
- Scroll down the page. Change the Metacourse drop down (if present), the User drop down, and the User Files drop down to “No.”
- Scroll to the bottom of the page. Click None to deselect all role assignments.
- Click continue. You will be taken to a screen where you can edit the file name or accept the file name suggested by Moodle. You will also see a table that summarizes the content that will be backed up. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Continue again to initiate the backup process.
- If the backup is successful, you will see a message: "Backup completed successfully." Click continue.
- The .zip file that contains the course archive appears. To save a copy of the course archive to your local drive, click the underlined name of your new backup file. Click Save As from the pop-up menu. (To open the pop-up menu: If you are working with a Windows OS, click the right-hand mouse button, to open the pop-up menu. If you are working with a Mac OS, press the control key and click the mouse.)
- Now you are ready to import course content from Moodle.