Add students to your course
Registered students are automatically enrolled in courses based on the official time schedule. If student names that you expect to see in your Canvas course are missing, the delay may be due to a hold or an issue with registration. If students require immediate access, you can manually add students to your course, as long as they have a UW NetID.
Protect student privacy: When adding people to your course, and any time you engage in any course-related activity that may expose student information, it is critical to be aware of FERPA guidelines. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 protects the privacy of students' education records. Generally, the guidelines mean that the University and its employees may not release or share a student's educational records, or information from a student's education records, unless it has the student's written consent to do so. Some exceptions to this general rule can be found at FERPA for Faculty and Staff. It is important that you understand when it is appropriate and allowable to release information from students' education records to third parties, such as faculty, staff, parents, and other students.
Follow these steps to add students to your course:
- From within your Canvas course, in the course navigation, click People.
- On the right side of the screen, in the sidebar, click Manage Users.
- Near the bottom of the screen, click Add Users.
- In the Add More list, click Students.
- Enter the student's UW NetID (not their email address). You can also add multiple students at the same time.
- Click Continue.
- Click OK Looks Good, Add this 1 User.