Give others access to your course
All official instructors of record are automatically enrolled in courses based on the official time schedule. If you want to have additional instructors or TAs added to the course, please contact your department's Time Schedule Coordinator to have them officially added.
You can manually add other faculty, TAs, or observers that you want to give access to your course, as long as they have a UW NetID.
Protect student privacy: When adding people to your course, and any time you engage in any course-related activity that may expose student information, it is critical to be aware of FERPA guidelines. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 protects the privacy of students' education records. Generally, the guidelines mean that the University and its employees may not release or share a student's educational records, or information from a student's education records, unless it has the student's written consent to do so. Some exceptions to this general rule can be found at FERPA for Faculty and Staff. It is important that you understand when it is appropriate and allowable to release information from students' education records to third parties, such as faculty, staff, parents, and other students.
Follow these steps to add people to your course:
- From within your Canvas course, in the course navigation, click People.
- On the right side of the screen, in the sidebar, click Manage Users.
- Near the bottom of the screen, click Add Users.
- In the Add More list, select Teachers, TAs, or Observers.
- Enter the person's UW NetID (not their email address). You can also add multiple people at the same time to any category.
- Click Continue.
- Click OK Looks Good, Add this 1 User.