Teaching with Technology Faculty Learning Groups
During the Winter 2012 quarter, the Center for Teaching and Learning will sponsor two learning communities related to teaching with technology for faculty and staff. Each learning community is topic-based (e.g., Social Media for Learning) or cohort-based (e.g., Canvas Course Management Pilot faculty).
- to support you and your work as teaching scholars or staff educators
- to share resources and expertise
- to encourage evidence-based decisions about teaching
- to sustain and strengthen the UW teaching community.
Size: 6-12 people.
Duration: 10 Weeks (longer if the group chooses)
Frequency: About every other week (5 meets total)
Most are intrinsic. However, private donations make it possible for the CTL to offer $200 of research funding to each participant. Consider the funding an acknowledgment that teaching and learning are not hobbies with you and that the CTL respects your work.
To attend the meetings and "share out" what you have learned after the sessions conclude, so that other UW faculty members, TAs, or staff members may learn from your experience and expertise.
- teaching, co-teaching, or facilitating part of a faculty workshop--for example, Large-Class Collegium
- posting a new course or assignment or method or narrated slideshow on the CTL web site
- contributing entries to a teaching/learning web blog for UW faculty
- presenting at the CTL Teaching and Learning Symposium, a UW-IT forum, or elsewhere on campus
- writing or co-authoring a paper or article...
The CTL helps form the FLCs. One CTL faculty or staff member serves each group as participant, facilitator, resource, and/or "outside" consultant—whatever the group decides. We provide the space, too.
Topics, Days, Dates, & Times
Social Media for Learning: OPEN
Why use Twitter, Facebook, or other social media for learning? For learning what? Discussions may focus on emergent best practices as well as on research on social media for learning. Participants determine the agenda and topics.
Day: Every other Monday
Time: 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Dates: January 9 & 23, February 6 & 27, March 5 or 12.
Canvas Course Management: FOR CANVAS PILOT FACULTY ONLY
This learning community is a collaborative venture of the CTL and UW IT. Participants are faculty members who piloted Canvas Course Management system in the Autumn 2011 quarter or those who will be piloting it in the Winter 2012 quarter.
Sign up for a learning community by emailing Nicole Feodorov at email@example.com. If you have questions, please send them to Beth Kalikoff, Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org.