Outlook 2010 (Windows 7, Vista and XP) and UW Exchange
Summary: This page describes how to set up Outlook 2010 on your computer for use with UW Exchange. The screen shots are from a variety of system environments and may not match your screen exactly
- On This Page
- Initial Setup
- Synchronize With the Exchange Server
- Route Your Mail to Your Exchange Account
In this procedure, you create a mail profile that contains UW Exchange information. Then when you launch Outlook 2010, it reads the profile, connects to the server, and synchronizes your account.
To set up Outlook 2010:
- Open the Microsoft Office Profile Manager:
- Windows 7 or Vista. Go to the Control
Panel and type Mail into
the search box (see A in the image
below). Select the Mail applet see
B in the image below).
- Windows XP. Click Start, point
to Settings, and then click
Control Panel. Double-click the
- Windows 7 or Vista. Go to the Control Panel and type Mail into the search box (see A in the image below). Select the Mail applet see B in the image below).
- If you already have one or more Exchange profiles
defined, the following screen is displayed. If you have
no profiles, the screen in step 3 is displayed, and you
should skip this step and go to step 3.
Click Show Profiles.
- Click Add.
- Under Profile Name, enter
UW – Exchange, and then click
- For E-mail Address, enter your
address in the format:
where your-UWNetID is your actual UW NetID.
In Windows XP: enter your UW NetID password, and then click Next.
In Windows 7 or Vista: Click Next.
- Enter your credentials:
- For User name, enter your UW
NetID in the format:
- For Password, enter your UW NetID password.
- For User name, enter your UW NetID in the format:
- A message appears indicating that Your
e-mail account is successfully configured to use
Microsoft Exchange. Click
- The wizard again displays the profile
- In the upper portion of the window, click UW – Exchange.
- In the lower portion of the window, select Always use this profile.
- Click Properties.
- Click E-mail Accounts.
- Click Change.
- Click More Settings
Your server may not match what is shown in the picture. This is fine.
Note: use of the (default) "Cached Exchange Mode" is recommended UNLESS you have, or are, a "delegate". When a delegate is configured, cached mode should be turned off
- Click the Connection tab and select
the Connect to my Exchange mailbox using
HTTP box . Then click Exchange Proxy
- Enter the Exchange Proxy Settings:
- Under Use this URL to connect to my proxy for Exchange, make sure that it says: exchange.washington.edu (correct if necessary).
- Make sure that Connect using SSL only is selected.
- Make sure that On fast networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP is selected.
- Make sure that On slow networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP is selected.
- Under Use this authentication when
connecting to my proxy server for Exchange,
select NTLM Authentication.
- Dismiss all dialog boxes by clicking OK, OK, Next, Finish, and Close.
Synchronize With the Exchange Server
To synchronize with the UW Exchange server:
Start, point to
Programs, point to Microsoft
Office, and then click Microsoft
Office Outlook 2010. When prompted, log in,
remember to enter your name in the form
"netid\your-UW-NetID". After the first login Outlook
should remember the correct name and form for the next
login, but will need you to enter the password each
Outlook immediately begins synchronization. This process can take a long time, but happens only once. Leave Outlook running until the Outlook status bar displays: All folders are up to date.
- Exit Outlook.
Route Your Mail to Your Exchange Account
If you have been receiving email to a Deskmail account, make sure to reroute it to your Exchange account.
Setting your routing will determine how new email sent to your @u.washington.edu email address is delivered:
- To UW Exchange (the usual choice if you have a UW
- To the email-only UW Deskmail system
Once you route your mail to your UW Exchange account, you will be able to see new mail only by connecting to the UW Exchange server through a properly set up client software program.
To route your email your UW Exchange account:
- Open the page Change UW Email forwarding.
- Click the button to the left of Deliver my incoming UW Email to my UW Exchange Inbox.
- Click OK.