Outlook 2007 (Vista and XP) and UW Exchange
Summary: This page describes how to set up Outlook 2007 on your computer for use with UW Exchange. The procedures work for Vista and Windows XP, but the screen shots are from Vista. The screen content of the Windows XP screens is the same.
- Initial Setup
- Synchronize With the Exchange Server
- Create An Account For Your Deskmail
- Route Your Mail to Your Exchange Account
In this procedure, you create a mail profile that contains UW Exchange information. Then when you launch Outlook 2007, it reads the profile, connects to the server, and synchronizes your account.
To set up Outlook 2007:
- Open the Microsoft Office Profile Manager:
- Vista. Go to the Control Panel
and type Mail into the search box
(see A in the image below). Select
the Mail applet see
B in the image below).
- Windows XP. Click Start, point
to Settings, and then click
Control Panel. Double-click the
- Vista. Go to the Control Panel and type Mail into the search box (see A in the image below). Select the Mail applet see B in the image below).
- If you already have one or more Exchange profiles
defined, the following screen is displayed. If you have
no profiles, the screen in step 3 is displayed, and you
should skip this step and go to step 3.
Click Show Profiles.
- Click Add.
- Under Profile Name, enter UW
– Exchange, and then click
- For E-mail Address, enter your
address in the format:
where your-UWNetID is your actual UW NetID.
In Windows XP: enter your UW NetID password, and then click Next.
In Vista: Click Next.
- Enter your credentials:
- For User name, enter your UW
NetID in the format:
- For Password, enter your UW NetID password.
- For User name, enter your UW NetID in the format:
- A message appears indicating that Your e-mail
account is successfully configured to use Microsoft
Exchange. Click Finish.
- The wizard again displays the profile
- In the upper portion of the window, click UW – Exchange.
- In the lower portion of the window, select Always use this profile.
- Click Properties.
- Click E-mail Accounts.
- Click Change.
- Click More Settings.
Make sure that the Use Cached Exchange Mode box is not selected. The only exception might be if you are using a laptop and need access to (previously received) mail while disconnected from the network. The Microsoft support site provides more information on cached mode.
Your server may not match what is shown in the picture. This is fine.
- Click the Connection tab and select
the Connect to my Exchange mailbox using
HTTP box . Then click Exchange Proxy
- Enter the Exchange Proxy Settings:
- Under Use this URL to connect to my proxy for Exchange, make sure that it says: exchange.washington.edu (correct if necessary).
- Make sure that Connect using SSL only is selected.
- Check the box for: Only connect to proxy
servers that have this principal name in their
certificate. In the field below,
- Make sure that On fast networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP is selected.
- Make sure that On slow networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP is selected.
- Under Use this authentication when connecting to my proxy server for Exchange, select NTLM Authentication.
- Dismiss all dialog boxes by clicking OK, OK, Next, Finish, and Close.
To synchronize with the UW Exchange server:
- Launch Outlook: click Start, point
to Programs, point to Microsoft
Office, and then click Microsoft Office
Outlook 2007. When prompted, log in.
Outlook immediately begins synchronization. This process can take a long time, but happens only once. Leave Outlook running until the Outlook status bar displays: All folders are up to date.
- Exit Outlook.
If you currently receive mail in a Deskmail account, make sure that your mail is being routed to your Exchange account. See Managing Your UW Exchange Account.