Note for Windows 10: Starting with Sophos Endpoint Security and Control version 10.3.15, you can upgrade your computer to Windows 10 without losing protection. Version 10.3.15 is available via the "update now" function in Sophos (as of July 30, 2015). There is currently no separate installer.
Sophos Anti-Virus version 10.2 is supported for use with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 and 8. Use with Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000 and Me is not supported.
The distributed configuration turns on more advanced scanning (read, write and rename) as well as checking for "adware" and "potentially unwanted applications" (PUAs). Handling of identified threats has been changed to "automatically cleanup" (if possible). If you have intentionally installed software that Sophos classifies as "adware" or PUAs running the scanner in this mode may remove the software.
To avoid this:
- Use the "scans" function and "setup a new scan", configure this scan to check for "adware" and PUAs but only to "notify" and/or "log" results, not(!) to "cleanup automatically".
- Run this scan of your entire system.
- If "adware" or "potentially unwanted programs" are found on your system that you really do want to keep, add them with the "Authorization" function.
- Try manually removing all existing resident anti-virus/spyware software, restarting the system and re-running the Sophos installer.
- See Sophos Support Knowledgebase
Note coming end of support for OS X 10.6 and 10.7: As of October 31st, 2015, Sophos will no longer support Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7.
Version 9+ is supported for use with OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 and 10.10.
Sophos no longer provides support, or updates, for Mac OS X version 10.5 or less.
ATTENTION: Any previously installed anti-virus software must be removed using the process recommended by the vendor and the system restarted before running the Sophos AV installer. For example, if the McAfee AV software has been installed under the UW license, you MUST run the "uninstaller" program provided with that software BEFORE running the Sophos installer.
- Find How to uninstall McAfee here
- Though optional, you may ALSO want to uninstall the "McAfee Agent". The Agent will not prevent Sophos from installing or working, but may still be running, putting some small, and unnecessary, load on your system. To uninstall see Mcafee knowledge base article
Linux (not currently available)
Current UW distribution of Sophos antivirus for Linux does not work because Sophos has changed the way their update servers are accessed. Please use suitable antivirus package of your choice to protect your computer. We will change this information if we are able to remedy current situation with the vendor.
Sophos Anti-Virus version 9 is supported for use with mainstream Linux distributions such as RedHat Linux and UBUNTU.
System Requirements - include information about distributions of Linux supported by Sophos Antivirus v.9.
Note to UBUNTU users. Please use release v.10.4LTS of UBUNTU, or better, in order to have on-access scanning available without having to modify the kernel.
Please uninstall any existing antivirus applications prior to attempting the installation of Sophos AV for Linux. The Sophos Antivirus installer for Linux does not include a feature that will detect and remove other anti-virus software that may be installed on the target system.
You must have "root" privileges to install Sophos AV. The installer script will first unpack compressed files and then will attempt to connect to the Sophos server using the embedded set of access credentials to download all necessary files, including current virus definitions. The Internet connection must be active during this process.
The entire process can take some time depending of the speed of your connection to the Internet. Don't be surprised if it takes 5 to 10 minutes or longer. The process will typically end with a message indicating successful conclusion.
- UW distribution of Sophos AV for Linux is preconfigured to install the application in the following directory on your computer:
- The graphical interface is turned off. The on-access scan option is turned on. To turn on graphical interface after installation, run as "root" /opt/sophos-av/bin/savsetup .
- Manage the installed Sophos AV using web interface by default on port 8081 <http://localhost:8081>