The University of Washington has a site license with ESRI, the makers of geographic information systems software. ArcInfo is the most complete and extensible GIS software available. It includes all the functionality of ArcView (a full-featured GIS software for visualizing, managing, creating, and analyzing geographic data) and ArcEditor and adds advanced geoprocessing and data conversion capabilities.
Most GIS users on campus will be interested in ESRI's ArcGIS Desktop product. Other products are also available as part of the site license.
System Requirements for ArcGIS Desktop
The minimum requirements for running ArcGIS are the following:
- Platform: PC-Intel
- Operating System: Windows Vista (Ultimate, Enterprise, Business, Home Premium), Windows 2000, or Windows XP (Home Edition and Professional)
- Memory: 1 GB RAM
- Processor: 1.6 GHz
About the UW ArcInfo Site License
Software can be installed ONLY on computers owned by the UW or other Washington State Institutions of Higher Education. Software is for instructional and research purposes only.
- The site license includes access to online training, called Virtual Campus. See 'Documentation' below.
- The Software cannot be used for any project that generates a profit.
- The Software cannot be used for any project that is not related to UW coursework, management, or research.
- The Software cannot be used for any project which competes in any way with private sector activities.
- The annual license fee is supported by the Dean's Office of the College of Arts and Sciences and by Western Washington University.
- The site license is administered by a group of volunteers associated with the UWCGIA.
- UW faculty and staff can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or subscribe to the UW GIS List for information about new software and updates.
- Information about how to Obtain ArcGIS Media.
- UW students enrolled in GIS courses may acquire the software for use on personal computers on a one-year time out license. The software must be requested through a faculty member who is teaching a GIS course in which the student is enrolled.
- There is a form for faculty to request 1-year timeout license for students.
- After reading the above details, the UW faculty may use this order form.
- Note: one can only run ArcGIS Desktop on non-Windows OS by using some kind of virtualization.
- Documentation is included on the CD.
- Printed manuals are available in the Map Collection and Cartographic Information Services unit in the basement of Suzzallo Library.
- Manuals may be purchased separately from Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc. (ESRI).
ReadMefor Virtual Campus, Virtual Campus Enrollment
- Subscribe to the UW GIS list and online archive.
- Refer to the Technical Assistance Page for contacts and information.
Refer to the University of Washington ESRI Home Page.