Nebula News and Announcements
Nebula Spring Brown Bag was Thursday, May 2
The weather report on Thursday, May 2 was perfect for taking a walk to the UW Tower for the Spring Nebula Brown Bag.
Notes are now up on the presentation from the CISO's office, information on how to make your Nebula computer more secure, and the latest updates on UW Exchange, MS Office, and using NETID logons.
Spam Reaches Near Historic Levels posted April 22, 2013
Most of these unwanted emails are attempts at 'phishing': attempts to get your personal information by fraudulent means. Many appear to come from familiar addresses, contain alarming warnings, and have links that take you to malicious duplicates of legitimate pages.
- Don't click--hover! Hover your mouse over links in email; this displays the actual destination.
- Don't click!--call! If the message or its links ask for any personal information, contact the company by phone or by sending a separate email.
More good practices:
- Don't set up rules or filters in Outlook. Outlook doesn't understand the UW's spam filters. Using Outlook's spam filters usually just increases your spam.
- Instead, block spam using Outlook Web Access.
- Once spam is blocked, don't inadvertently turn Outlook's filtering back on: Don't right-click on a message and select Junk or any of its options. This re-enables Outlook's Junk eMail handling.
If you have entered your UW NetID credentials into a bogus site, you should change your password at the valid UW site. Go to the UW home page and search on change password or type or copy this URL into your browser: https://uwnetid.washington.edu/manage/
Final Windows 7 systems upgraded to IE v9 posted April 22, 2013
Nebula's program to bring Internet Explorer to current versions on all computers will be completed by the end of April. Our new Nebula Service Change Process worked well. Thank you for your patience and feedback on this process.
Nebula Training Room computers now run Windows 8, Office 2013 posted February 22, 2013
In addition to supporting the new Windows 8 operating system on any Nebula computer, we have converted the computers in the Nebula training room so they run Windows 8 as well as Windows 7. The Windows 8 version has been upgraded to Office 2013. Instructions on using both operating systems have been posted on the walls.
Instructors: Feel free to schedule some time in the training room to acquaint yourself with the new set-up. If you installed software on these computers prior to October 31, you will need to reinstall it. Email us to schedule a time and to ensure you have the privileges for installation.