Using Outlook 2010
- SPAM! See these instructions for Blocking Spam in both UW Exchange Local and Online (Cloud).
- Use the in-program Help feature (the question mark in the upper right corner). Many answers to your questions are available in this resource.
- Always use Scheduling Assistant to invite people and resources to a meeting.
- Out of Office Message? Always use Outlook Web Access (OWA). Click Options, then Set Automatic Replies.
- View others’ calendars in OWA: Open the calendar, Click Share in the menu bar.
Using Cached Mode
Cached Mode stores a copy of your mailbox on your local computer for quick access to your data. Any changes you make are synchronized automatically with the server whenever a connection is available.
Do not use cached mode if:
- you are engaged in a "delegate" relationship in any way
- you have been granted "shared" access to other calendars (Note: granting shared access is almost never necessary; use the Scheduling Assistant instead.)
This is because cached mode does not provide "real time" updates to your views of other account data.
Enabling Cached Mode
- Open Account Settings:
- Outlook 2007: Click on Tools - Account Settings
- Outlook 2010: Click on File - Info - Account Settings - Account Settings.
- Make sure the Microsoft Exchange account is selected and click Change.
- Check the box marked Use Cached Exchange Mode
Any problem with Outlook: Try these steps first:
- Close and Restart Outlook
- Open a web browser and log in to Outlook Web Access (OWA) https://exchange.washington.edu/owa Does the problem occur there?
- Problem with Log In – make sure you use netid\your-netid to login to Outlook.
Outlook is slow or unavailable
- Check your network connectivity
- Use cached mode
- Use Outlook Web Access
Undeliverable messages – usually caused by a corrupted cached address
- Open an new email message
- Begin to type in the name of the person whose message was undeliverable
- When the name appears in the drop-down box, highlight the name and press the Delete key.
- On your next email to that person, begin to type in the name or UW NetID, and click the Check Names icon to get the correct address.
Recipients can’t read my email – likely because your default email format is HTML
- Change your email format to Plain Text or Rich Text
- Go to the File Tab, Choose Options, then Mail, and change the default format
Your mailbox is getting full and you can’t send email.
- The UW-IT Exchange mailbox limit is set to 2GB, which includes all mail, tasks, contacts, and calendar items.
- Clear deleted items. Prune Sent Mail.
- Create an Outlook Data File (.PST) to “archive” old mail that can be deleted from the active mail.
- Ask Nebula for help.
- See also:
Microsoft has many helpful online tools, starting with the Help feature within Outlook: hit F1, or click on Help - Microsoft Office Help. For more, check out these links: