Learning About SharePoint
SharePoint information site is an excellent starting place
for learning about SharePoint. If you're curious about the
building blocks behind SharePoint and what using it will look like,
SharePoint capabilities page. Microsoft also provides
a broad overview of the various advantages SharePoint offers
on their SharePoint
Microsoft maintains a database
of SharePoint training through it's Microsoft
Learning website. This database includes classes, books, and even online training. If
you'd like to get started with an introduction to SharePoint, Microsoft also offers free
online classes through their Office.com
The Microsoft IT Academy at the UW offers a huge selection of online classes at no additional cost to UW faculty, staff or students. Many of the SharePoint 2010 classes offered through IT Academy are more advanced versions of the classes you will find at Office.com.
Microsoft SharePoint is an incredibly powerful tool, but it is also expensive to set up and operate. UW-IT provides a locally managed SharePoint service shared by several UW departments, so this collaboration tool can be offered at an affordable rate. UW-IT's SharePoint service provides the following:
- A Site Collection to organize your team, department, or unit and keep all information under one umbrella
- As many sub-sites as you'd like (subject to space limitations) to organize information by using different sites for different groups or projects
- Document management second to none, with the ability to easily collaborate on documents and share in the review process
- SharePoint's advanced search engine which will search all pages, wikis, sites and even document contents for specific keywords.
- Integration with Microsoft Office and UW Exchange so anyone can use SharePoint with the tools they already know
Cost and How to Sign Up
UW-IT service catalog includes information on the price
for SharePoint service and support.
Email email@example.com if you'd like to sign up for UW
SharePoint, or if you have any questions.