Using a UW Address After the UW Windows Live Transition
Setup a UW Send-As address for UW Windows Live
If you wish to continue using UW Windows Live while we are transitioning to the new UW Exchange email system, follow the instructions below. These instructions will allow a transitioned UW Windows Live account to send mail using either @u.washington.edu or @uw.edu as a "from:" address.
These instructions require setting up a UW Google Apps account. If you would like to start using UW Google Apps for sending UW email, follow these instructions. The procedure below is unnecessary if you would like to use UW Google Apps for sending mail.
- If you haven't already, start by setting up a UW Google Apps account. If you are setting up your UW Google Apps account for the first time, you will need to wait 24 hours before proceeding to step 2.
- Enable POP access to your UW Google Apps account using Google's instructions.
- Change your UW email forwarding to UW Google Apps using your UW netID manage page
If your account has not yet been transitioned, open the Outlook Web App by going to: https://outlook.com
If your account has already been transitioned, use: https://outlook.com/myuw.net
- Go to Options-->See All Options, and then click New under the Connected Accounts section.
- Enter your UW email address (you must use firstname.lastname@example.org, not email@example.com) and your UW Google Apps specific password. That password can be set on our UW netID manage pages
- You should see a dialog box that asks if you would like to try an unsecured connection. Answer "no".
- An Error will appear that states "Outlook Web App" couldn't connect to the server for your other account. Click on the "POP" link near the end of the error message.
You will be asked for the following information:
Display name: your name as you would like it to appear when sending mail
E-mail address: your UW email address (you must use firstname.lastname@example.org, not email@example.com)
User name: Your @uw.edu email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Password: Your UW Google Apps specific password (can be set here)
Incoming server: pop.gmail.com
uncheck the box labeled Leave mail on server
Encryption: SSL Port: 995
- In the dialog box that pops up, click "Close". You should now have an email waiting for you in your UW Google Apps inbox. Click the link in that email to enable send-as for your transitioned UW Windows Live mailbox.
- Log back into your UW netID manage page to change your forwarding back to UW Windows Live.