UW Shared Web Hosting
The Web Publishing service provides:
- a cluster of Web servers to make your information available to browsers
- storage space for your Web pages
- the ability to install Web applications like WordPress, Drupal and others
- optional database services, site access control and other utilities
Your pages will be published and available at one of these URLs:
You can create your Web pages via a variety of desktop Web authoring tools, build pages using text editors, or install Web applications.
- URL Forwarding or URL Masking is available for an additional fee: uw.edu/itconnect/web/publishing/url-forwarding.html
- UW Blogs Network using Word Press, UW-specific themes, NetID login support, up-to-date plug ins, and a blog framework: uw.edu/itconnect/connect/web-publishing/uw-blogs-network (Student accounts are not eligible for UW Blogs Network.)
- A basic disk space allocation is provided. See Service Level Description for disk quota information.
UW faculty, UW staff, UW students, UW academic units, UW administrative units
UW Shared Web Hosting services are available from any Internet connections. Services are set up with a cluster server environment so that small system failures will not cause a service outage. The service is not designed for quick recovery from a major disaster. Occasional downtime is scheduled for periodic upgrade of servers.
Historically our service availability has been 99.9%. However, since the Web Publishing environment is shared, excessive use of the services by one or more users may degrade performance for others.
The basic service is included in the Technology Recharge Fee for faculty and staff and is funded by the Student Technology Fee for students.
A basic disk storage allocation of 1 GB is included for faculty, staff, and shared accounts. Students are provided 300 MB of storage.
Additional data storage for faculty and staff and shared accounts is available for a fee. To increase your storage limit, go to the Manage Your NetID Resources page at uwnetid.washington.edu/manage/?disk, where you can enter a budget number and set the amount. The rate is $.35 per GB per month.
UW Blogs Network is available at no additional cost.
URL Forwarding or URL Masking is $50 per URL per year.
* Price subject to change annually on July 1st.
Service Level Description
UW Shared Web Hosting services are designed for continuous access with the exception of scheduled down times, hardware failure, and natural disasters. UW Information Technology responds to queries within 2 business days. Support is limited to ensuring that centrally installed functions and software are operating. Data for storage for students is fixed at 300 MB.
UW-IT provides documentation to help customers use the UW Shared Web Hosting services. Customers provide their own ready-to-publish pages, install them on the servers, and install and operate any custom Web sites. UW-IT customer support is limited to assisting with server operational problems and clarifying documentation. Consulting may be available for a fee.
For information on Web Publishing, see:
washington.edu/itconnect/connect/web-publishing/ and washington.edu/itconnect/connect/web-publishing/shared-hosting/
For information on URL Forwarding and URL Masking, see:
Mailing Lists for this service
- To be notified of upgrades and changes to the service, sign up for firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you want to be on a discussion list about this service, sign up for email@example.com
Support information on using the servers is at washington.edu/itconnect/connect/web-publishing/shared-hosting
Questions can be sent to the UW Information Technology Service Center.
UW Information Technology Service Center
Front Desk: UW Tower C-3000 (4333 Brooklyn Ave. NE)
Online Help Form: washington.edu/itconnect/help
Business Hours: washington.edu/itconnect/help
Last Review Date: 05/03/2015