- On This Page
- Installing Anti-spyware Software at Work and Home
- Obtaining and Installing SpyBot (Search and Destroy)
- Use And Configuration
- Advanced Features
Installing Anti-spyware Software at Work and Home
Please consult with your local/departmental computing support staff before installing anti-spyware software onto your work computer at the UW.
While "SpyBot (Search and Destroy)" may be used as a tool by your local/departmental computing staff, they might prefer to install other software. You should use the SpyBot (or similar) software when connecting your own (not centrally managed) computer at home or in a residence hall to UW resources.
Obtaining and Installing SpyBot (Search and Destroy)
- Visit Download SpyBot (S&D)
- Select one of the download "mirrors" and click DOWNLOAD.
- Choose to save the installer to a known location on your computer, for example your "desktop".
- Open the folder containing the installer and double-click it to begin installation.
- Read the license agreement and select the radio button "I accept the agreement". Press NEXT to continue.
- Press NEXT to accept the default installation folder.
- Select options you need to the program to work. Press NEXT to continue.
- Press NEXT to accept the default Start menu folder for the program.
- Select Permanent Protection Options (SDHelper) and (TeaTimer). The shortcut on the desktop or in the quick launch bar is optional. Press Next to proceed.
Current update files begin downloading as shown on the picture below.
- Press INSTALL to begin installation of the program.
- Click Finish to complete the installation. The installer begins the first run of the program.
Use And Configuration
- Upon first run (and after that if you choose to) you will be presented with this warning:
For most of us, advertisement robots (which may be spyware) are not desirable, so it is usually a good idea to place the check mark into the box "don't show this message again" and click OK.
You should realize, however, that if such programs are on your computer they were probably put there when you downloaded a shareware or freeware program.
Removing the robot will often disable the program that installed it. If you don't want to see this message again please check the box "Don't show this message again".
- Next you will be presented with the Registry Backup warning
Even though SpyBot (S&D) is very reliable it may prove useful to have a registry backup in case something goes wrong. It is recommended to make a copy of the registry. If space on the hard drive is a consideration, you may omit this step. Click on NEXT to proceed.
- Do "Search for updates". From the list of "mirrors" select the closest site and press Continue. If there are pending updates you will be prompted.
- Select the downloads that you want to obtain. To simplify the process you could check all items and press "Download" button.
- Upon successful download click "Exit" button.
- Close the program.
- Start the program.
- EVERY TIME before scanning the system please SEARCH FOR UPDATES as described in the "First run" section earlier, select the closest "mirror site", click CONTINUE, place check marks next to the updates that are found and click DOWNLOAD UPDATES.
If there were immunization database updates make sure to click the Immunize option on the left and do IMMUNIZE before scanning your PC. Immunization will stop identified active-X controls from being executed in Internet Explorer. The number of protected and the total number should match. If not, run updates and immunization again.
- To scan the system start the application, click on CHECK FOR PROBLEMS, let the scanner complete its job.
- Click on FIX SELECTED PROBLEMS button to let the program take care of the detected malware.
If you feel comfortable configuring advanced features to automate updates for this program and also establish a scheduled system scan you may do so by using the "Advanced Mode" that can be selected from the Mode menu on the tool bar. Please be careful not to change any settings that can adversely affect your system. The most useful features that can be configured in advanced mode are Automated Updates and Scheduled Scans. You can also set SpyBot to start the system scan automatically every time the operating system starts.
One more feature that can help protect your system is IMMUNIZING the system every time the program has been updated. This will automatically add new Active-X control blocks to protect the system from newly discovered potential exploits. Scroll up to "Program Start" section and check the box next to the"Run Check on Program Start", "Fix all problems on program start", "Immunize on Program Start if Program has been updated", "Do not ask for fixing confirmation".
You should also take advantage of the option to automatically check for updates on the web and install them for you. To configure this, use the advanced mode and press the SETTINGS button. From the expanded view on the left, select SETTINGS (again). In the right pane scroll down to the section called Web Update, and place check-marks at the first two options in this section:
"Search the web for new versions at each program start", "Download updated include files if available on line".
To create a scheduled system scan switch to the Advanced mode using the MODE menu on the tool bar, click SCHEDULER on the list of items on the left, click "Add(Updater)" to automatically update the reference file before scanning the system.
Click "Add" to create, then EDIT and than SCHEDULE to configure a new scan, as shown below.
Place check mark in both boxes "Fix Problems...." and "Close Program after finishing..."
Verify that the check box "Run only if logged on" is no checked, otherwise the task will not be executed until you log in.
Use the default option to do a daily scan and select the time in the "Start time" window. You can create multiple schedules, for example to scan at a different time on week-ends, by placing a check-mark in the box on the bottom of the applet "Show multiple schedules", then press button New to create another schedule and set the desired time. Press OK to finish the configuration of scheduler.