By setting participant access, you control who can post messages on your discussion board and if visitors will be required to log in to view the board.
To set or change participant access for your discussion board, follow these steps:
- From the account page, click the name of the board with which you want to work. You will move to the board home page.
- Click Manage from the top navigation links. You will move to the "Manage" page.
- Click Edit under "Participant Access & Roles." You will move to the "Participant Access & Roles" page.
- Click Edit to the right of "Participant Access." You will move to the "Participant Access" page.
- Choose one of the access settings listed below:
Anyone: Allows anyone with a UW NetID or a UW Google ID to participate in your discussion board.
Anyone with a UW NetID: Allows anyone with a UW NetID to
participate in your discussion board.
Members of groups and/or class lists: Limits access to your discussion board to a specific group of UW NetIDs that you specify. If you are creating the discussion board for a class, you can use this option to create a group from a class list, which is updated nightly as students add and drop your class. You can also use the setting if you want to reuse the same group to provide access to other Catalyst tools.
If you select the Members of groups and/or class lists option, the form will expand to display the group chooser. Browse and select one or more existing groups to allow the members to access your board, or, at the bottom left, click the globe icon to create a new group. Follow these instructions to create a group.
- Select the email notification option if you want group members to receive an email announcement when the board is made available.
- Under "Visitor Access," select Yes, make this a public board, if you would like visitors to be able to view and read the discussion board without first logging in to the board. Otherwise, select No, make this board private.
- Click Save to save your changes, or Cancel to discard them. You will return to the "Participant Access & Roles" page.
- To help participants access your discussion board, you can distribute or create a link to the board URL displayed under "Board URL" on the board's "Manage" page. Group members can access the board through the "Your Tools" tab on their Catalyst account page.