Moderators and administrators can lock a conversation. Only moderators and administrators can post messages in a locked conversation.
It is useful to lock conversations that are intended as announcements, instructions, ground rules, or other information for participants. Locked conversations provide a means to post information for board participants that you intend just for their review, not for discussion. You can also lock a conversation that you aren't ready for participants to post in yet, or to close off discussion and move participants on to other topics.
You can lock an existing conversation, or start a new conversation and lock it.
To lock an existing conversation, follow the steps below:
- Find the conversation that you want to lock.
- Click the conversation subject to view all the messages posted.
- Select Lock from the "Moderator actions" menu at the top center of the conversation.
If you no longer want a conversation to be locked, repeat the steps above to toggle the conversation back to normal.
To start a conversation and lock it, follow the steps below:
- If the discussion board is organized into discussion areas, click the name of the discussion area in which you want to post a message.
- Click Start new conversation in the upper right of the discussion board. You will move to the "Start a new conversation" page.
- Enter a subject for your conversation in the space provided. The subject will become a link that participants will read and click to see the messages posted to this conversation.
- Enter the message in the space provided. You can use the toolbar to format the text, insert images, create links, insert smileys, and more.
- To attach a file, click Attach file under the text area, and then click Browse to locate the file on your desktop computer.
- You can also select another file to attach by clicking Attach another file.
- Under "Moderator actions" select Lock.
- You can click Preview to see how your post will appear.
- Click Post to post your conversation, or Cancel to discard your changes.