If you want to copy a Blackboard course's content into a Canvas course, you can do so using the Canvas Course Import Tool. This allows you to import any or all areas within Blackboard to your Canvas course.
Blackboard and Canvas courses are organized differently and offer different tools, so importing Blackboard content into Canvas can be complicated. Some areas import more easily than others. Make sure you review and .
Create an archive of your Blackboard course
Before you can import Blackboard course content into Canvas, you must archive the Blackboard course.
Follow these steps to create an archive of your Blackboard course:
- In the Control Panel of your Blackboard course site, click Packages and Utilities.
- Click Export/Archive Course.
- Click Archive.
- Click Submit.
- You should see a message that appears in a green bar near the top of
the page, which says, “Success: This action has been queued. An email
will be sent when the process is complete.”
- Access your email account. You should receive an email from “System
Administrator” that says “The operation has completed. The file may be
downloaded from the Control Panel." Depending on the size of your
course, it may be several minutes before this email arrives.
- In the Control Panel of your Blackboard course site, under Packages and Utilities, click Export/Archive Course
to refresh this page. You should now see a link to the Archive File.
Please Note: If you are working in a Mozilla Firefox browser, you want
to SAVE the archive file, not open it. The instructions for saving can
vary slightly among different browsers.
- Right-click the link for the Archive File and from the shortcut menu, choose Save Link As. Choose a location to save your file.
- Now you are ready to import course content from Blackboard.
Import archived course content
- Log in to canvas.uw.edu to access your Canvas account.
- From the Courses & Groups menu, select your course.
- In the left navigation pane, click Settings.
- Click Import Content into this Course.
- Select Import content from a content package or from another system.
- Select Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export .zip file.
- Click Choose File and select your Blackboard archive .zip file.
- Click Import Course. After a few minutes, you will receive an email confirmation that the archive was successfully imported.
- In the email message, click the link.
- In Canvas, select the components that you want to include in your course.
- At the bottom of the page, click Import Course Content and wait for several minutes.
- Review your assignments, syllabus, and calendar to check for further changes, corrections, or errors.