Blackboard and Canvas both have a common place to store course files. In Blackboard this is the Central Course File Repository (CCFR). In Canvas it is simply Files.
If you want to import only course files (as opposed to the entire course), we recommend that you do not do this through the Course Import Tool and instead directly through the CCFR/Files areas.
This tutorial takes you through the steps required to export your files from Blackboard as a .zip file, then import them in the Files area of Canvas.
Export Files from Blackboard
- Go to your Blackboard course and find the files you want to export.
- In the Control Panel, click the right-facing arrow on the Files tab. This takes you to the Central Course File Repository.
- From the list, check the boxes next to the files that you want to copy to Canvas. To choose all files in the repository, check the box at the very top of the menu.
- At the bottom and top of the list, there is a Download Package button. Once you have selected your files, click this button to download them to your computer.
- A download window appears. Make sure that Save File is checked, then click OK. Choose where on your computer you want to save the file. For convenience, it is a good idea to save the file to your desktop. Click Save.
Import the .zip File into Canvas
- Now that you have a .zip file of all of your course documents, you can upload it to your Canvas course files. Start by logging into UW Canvas at canvas.uw.edu.
- From the Courses tab, choose the course you want to import your files into.
- Click the Files tab to view your existing course files or upload new ones.
- In the top right corner of the menu, click the import a zip file icon. This is the icon on the far right with the green arrow on it.
You will be taken to the import files page. Click the browse button, then locate and select the .zip file on your computer.
- Next, choose where you'd like the file to upload to. Choose the general course files, unless you would like them uploaded to a different area.
- Once you have completed all of these steps, click the Upload File button.
- The file will begin to upload, and a progress bar will notify you when the process is complete.
The course files will now be available within the Files section of your Canvas course. After the process is complete, you will be taken to the Files section.