If you have content that you want to hide from students, you can store that content in files or folders and then lock those files or folders.
Follow these steps to lock a file or folder:
- From within your Canvas course, in the course navigation, click Files.
- Navigate to the files (or folder) you want to limit access to.
- Hover over the file or folder you want to lock. On the right side of the pane, three icons appear, the first of which is a tiny lock.
- Click the lock. This brings up the Lock File (or Lock Folder) dialog box. Until you lock the file (or folder), teachers and TAs can access the file. If you want to allow students to access the file from another location within the course, check the check box. We recommend using the "Lock until I manually unlock it" setting on files or folders you want to protect. However, if you want to set dates for locking or unlocking the file, clear the check mark. You will be able to set the lock using one of the following:
- dd/mm/yyyy 00:00 (24hr) Ex. 27/02/2013 23:59
- dd/mm/yyyy 00:00am/pm Ex 27/02/2013 11:59pm
- Mon Da 00:00am/pm Ex. Feb 27 11:59pm
- Mon Da 00:00 (24hr) Ex. Feb 27 23:59
The time field is optional. If not selected it will default to 12am.
- Click Lock this File. One of two things will happen:
- a locked padlock icon appears, along with a line of text: This file is locked and cannot be downloaded by students.
- a padlock appears over the file. When you unlock the file, the padlock and the text disappear.
Note: when you've locked file, the padlock icon to the right appears unlocked.