Registered students are automatically enrolled in courses based on the official time schedule. If student names that you expect to see in your Canvas course are missing, the delay may be due to a hold or an issue with registration. Please contact UW Canvas Support at email@example.com with a request to update your course enrollments. If students require immediate access, you can manually add students to your course, as long as they have a UW NetID.
Protect student privacy: When adding people to your course, and any time you engage in any course-related activity that may expose student information, it is critical to be aware of FERPA guidelines. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 protects the privacy of students' education records. Generally, the guidelines mean that the University and its employees may not release or share a student's educational records, or information from a student's education records, unless it has the student's written consent to do so. Some exceptions to this general rule can be found at FERPA for Faculty and Staff. It is important that you understand when it is appropriate and allowable to release information from students' education records to third parties, such as faculty, staff, parents, and other students.
Follow these steps to add students to your course:
- From within your Canvas course, in the course navigation, click People.
- Near the top of the page, click Add People.
- In the dialog box, enter a student's UW NetIDs (not their email address). You can add multiple students at the same time, separated by commas. Make sure the role is set to Student.
- Choose the correct course section.
- Click Next.
- On the next screen, click Add Users.
- Click Done. In the list of people in your course, pending appears next to the name of the student you added until they accept the invitation to your course.