Junk Email (Spam) Filtering of UW Email
The Email Delivery Manager (EDM) is available as part of the UW Email (also known as UW Deskmail) service. EDM includes spam filtering, out-of-office messages and custom filters.
NOTE: The Email Delivery Manager is not available for:
- UW Exchange email
- UW Google email
- UW Outlook Live email
For UW Email accounts the Junk Email (Spam) Filter is on by default. You can turn Junk Email Filtering on or off, or adjust settings, at any time. With the Junk Email Filter on, email with a score higher than your chosen threshold will be placed in a folder named "junk-mail."
Important: Check your junk-mail folder regularly (at least once a week). Some good messages may get mixed in with the junk, especially if you choose a low threshold or if you receive commercially-oriented email. You must move such messages to other folders within a week after their arrival or they will be automatically deleted along with the junk messages. If you are not sure where your junk-mail folder is, see Frequently Asked Questions.Note that Web Alpine refers to your junk-mail folder by the name "Junk".
To change your filter settings:
- Go to the Email Delivery Manager (EDM).
- Under Junk Email (Spam) Filter (at the top of the left column), click Configure.
- By default, your Junk Email (Spam) Filter is On. UW Information Technology does not recommend turning the filter off.
- Select your Risk Tolerance. The recommended setting is "Moderate Risk." "Low Risk" means only messages that are almost certain to be spam are filtered. The middle- or high-risk choices mean more messages will be filtered, possibly catching some non-spam messages.
- Choose the Filter Order. We recommend setting spam filtering after any other filtering. The Filter Order setting determines whether spam is filtered out before or after any other filtering you have.
- When you have made the settings you want, click Update spam filter configuration on the bottom of the page.
Messages going to UW Outlook Live, UW Google Apps, UW Exchange or departmental email services are not affected by the Junk Mail Filter. The Junk Mail Filter function only works on messages delivered to the UW Email service.
Follow the steps below to determine if messages for a particular UW NetID are forwarded to the UW Email service.
To check email forwarding for a UW NetID:
- Enter the UW NetID to test and click submit.
- Read the results, then use your browser Back button to return to this page.