Configuring MS Outlook 2010 for Windows for UW Email
- On This Page
- Set Up an Account on Outlook
- Configure Your Folders
- Configure Outlook to Use the UW Directory
- Additional Information
- To Use Outlook 2010 With UW Email (Deskmail)
- You must be eligible to use UW Email (Deskmail). Students generally are not eligible.
- You must activate your UW Email (Deskmail) Inbox.
- You must forward your personal UW NetID email to UW Email (Deskmail)
Not sure? You can check your eligibility, activate your email account, or forward your email yourself.
Microsoft Outlook 2010 is a personal information manager, personal calendar, and email program included with Microsoft Office 2010 for Windows, which is available to the UW through agreements with Microsoft.
Set Up an Account on Outlook
- Start Outlook.
- If you are configuring Microsoft Outlook first time, you will be prompted to create a new mail account.
- If you have an existing account in Outlook, begin from "File" -> "Add Account" to start configuration process. Select "Yes" and press "Next"
- Click "Manually configure server settings or
additional server types" and
- Click "Internet E-mail" and then
- Fill out all required fields. Detailed information is
- Enter Your Name in the box labeled "Your Name"
- Enter firstname.lastname@example.org in the box labeled "E-mail Address"
- Set the "Account Type" to
- Enter your_uwnetid.deskmail.washington.edu in the box labeled "Incoming mail server (IMAP)".
- Enter smtp.uw.edu in the box labeled
"Outgoing mail server (SMTP)".
- Enter your_uwnetid in the box labeled "User Name".
- Leave the box labeled "password" blank.
- Remove the check box next to "Remember password".
- Click "More Settings".
- In the window that appears, click on the "Outgoing Server" tab.
- Check the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication".
- Confirm that "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is selected.
- Click on the "Advanced" tab.
- Under "Incoming server (IMAP)" select "SSL" for the box labeled "Use the following type of encrypted connection:".
- Confirm that the server port number for the incoming server changed to 993 (this will happen automatically when you check the box in the previous step).
- Select "TLS" for the box labeled "Use the following type of encrypted connection:" and after that change the port number to 587 under "Outgoing server (SMTP)".
- In the Folders section, in the box labeled "Root folder path", type mail.
- Click OK to close the "Internet E-mail Settings" window.
- Click "Next" in the "Add New E-mail Account" window
- At this point you will be prompted for your UW NetID
password, to allow you to log in to your newly created
account. Type your password in the box labeled
"password", and click OK.
You may be notified that the root folder path has changed, and that "Outlook has flushed all cached folders". This is normal. Click OK to continue.
- Click "Finish" in the "E-mail Accounts" window.
Account setup is done. Now, continue on to configure Outlook itself.
Configure Your Folders
Make Sure All Your Folders Will Be Visible
- Right-click on one of your UW email folders
and select "IMAP folders"
- Clear the check mark next to the option labeled
"When displaying hierarchy in Outlook, show only
subscribed folders." This will allow you to see
all your folders. Click "OK" to finish the
Set Where to Save Your Sent Mail
- Click "File" ->
"Account Settings" -> expanded button
- In the E-mail tab click on the UW deskmail account and press "Change" or double-click the account to expose account properties.
- Click "More Settings" button and
then open "Sent Items" tab. Make sure
that the radio button "Save sent items in the
following folder on the server" is
- In the list of folders find folder "sent-mail" and click it. Press "OK" and "Next" until all configuration windows are closed. If a "sent-mail" folder does not appear in the list of existing folders, click "New Folder" to create a folder named "sent-mail".
- Restart Outlook.
Configure Outlook to Use the UW Directory
The UW Directory can be used to look up UW email
addresses by the name of the person.
- Start Outlook.
- Click "File" -> "Account Settings" -> expanded button "Account Settings".
- Click on the Address Books tab.
- Click the "New..." button
- Select "Internet Directory Service (LDAP) and click Next.
- In the "Server Name" box, type
- Click "More Settings"
- You will get a warning "You must restart Outlook for
these changes to take effect". Click
- A new "Microsoft LDAP Directory" window will appear.
Click the "Search" tab, click radio
button "Custom" in the Search base
field, and type: o=University of Washington,
- Click "OK"
- In the "Add New Account" window, click "Next", then "Finish".
- Restart Outlook to activate the use of directory service.
If search for the address in the UW Directory, when you type the person's name, fails to produce a result, review and correct if necessary the LDAP directory configuration and verify that all Microsoft Office updates Microsoft's Office downloads are installed.
Check Eligibility and Activate UW Email (Deskmail) Inbox and Forwarding
Go to Manage Computing Services to check the
status of your email service.
- If "UW Email Inbox" is not listed, then you are not eligible for this service. Most students are not eligible to use UW (Deskmail) Email.
- If "UW Email Inbox" is listed, but not checked, check the box. Then click "Subscribe".
Go to Manage Email Forwarding to verify
and set your UW NetID personal email forward
to "UW Deskmail".
- Click on the "Forward to UW Deskmail" checkbox, if is not already chosen, then click on "OK"
To verify the new settings:
- Open Web Alpine.
- Click "Inbox" in the left column to see the messages in your Inbox. Next, click on "Compose", create a test message, address it to your UW NetID personal address (your_UW_NetID@uw.net) and send the message.
- Wait a few seconds then click "Check Mail" to see your message arrive.
If you encounter problems confirming a working email account with Web Alpine, then ask for help and get that resolved before proceeding with the instructions below.
Summary of Outlook Settings
Configuring any Email client software for use with the
UW (Deskmail) Email service requires entering a small
number of specific configuration values. For reference,
here's a table of the values needed:
|Use These Values to Configure Outlook
|Your Email address||Your-UW-NetID@uw.edu||Your personal UW NetID email address. Replace Your-UW-NetID with your own UW NetID.|
|IMAP (incoming) server||Your-UW-NetID.deskmail.washington.edu||Where your email is stored. Replace Your-UW-NetID with your own UW NetID.|
|IMAP server connection||Security (SSL) must be on, use default port 993||The IMAP (incoming) server port number should get
automatically set to 993 when you select encryption
|Root Folder Path, IMAP default path (prefix) or
IMAP Server Directory
||Email folders are stored in the "mail" directory on the UW server. Not setting this value may make it difficult to find folders.|
|SMTP (outgoing) server||smtp.uw.edu||How your mail is sent.|
|SMTP server connection||Security (TLS or STARTTLS) must be on, select port 587||The default port (25) may be blocked by 3rd party
Using the optional port #587 usually works around that issue.
* Where "your_uwnetid" is replaced by your actual UW NetID.
**If using an Internet Service Provider (ISP) OTHER than the UW then use the SMTP server configuration provided by your ISP.