- Create and delete databases
- Create, copy, delete and alter tables
- Execute any SQL-statement, including batch-queries
- Export and import databases
- use many other advanced features
Tip: Use a shell with tab-completion, such as bash or zsh, to help you enter the commands described in this document.
- Log into your web development server using a terminal emulator. If you're not sure how to do this, click here for instructions.
- Change directories by typing the following at the command prompt: cd public_html
- Download the latest version of phpMyAdmin with wget by typing this command at the terminal:
- Unzip the file you just downloaded by typing this command at the terminal:
tar zxvf STABLE.tar.gz
- Create a shortcut to phpMyAdmin by typing this command at the terminal:
ln -s phpmyadmin-STABLE phpmyadmin
- If you are upgrading an existing version of phpMyAdmin, you may wish to wait to create a symbolic link until you've verified that your new phpMyAdmin installation is working.
- Open the file that controls access to your phpMyAdmin install by typing the following commands into the terminal:
- Enter the following lines to password-protect the phpMyAdmin directory with your account's UW NetID, replacing accountname with the UW NetID of your account:
require user accountname
- Save and close the file using Pico. (Click for instructions on how to use pico).
- Create a directory for the script to write the config into:
- Start a Web browser and enter the URL that the table shows for your website affiliation.
Affiliation URL Student students.washington.edu/Your NetID/phpmyadmin/setup Faculty faculty.washington.edu/Your NetID/phpmyadmin/setup Staff staff.washington.edu/Your NetID/phpmyadmin/setup Department Shared NetID depts.washington.edu/Your NetID/phpmyadmin/setup Course Shared NetID courses.washington.edu/Your NetID/phpmyadmin/setup
- There may be errors, ignore them for now.
- Click on the "New Server" button in the "Servers" section and fill in the following fields:
Field Data Verbose name: Leave Blank Server hostname: Affiliation Hostname Student
Faculty, Staff, Department or Course
Server port: Your MySQL port Use SSL Checked
- Click on the "Authentication" tab and fill in the following fields.
Field Data Authentication type (you will need to change this!): config User for config auth: root Password for config auth: password for your MySQL server
- Click the button at the bottom of the screen that says "Apply" in green.
- You may get a "warning" regarding a connection error to the MySQL server. This is a known bug: click on "ignore errors" to continue.
- Click the "Save" button at the bottom of the "Configuration File" section.
- Copy the configuration file into the main directory and delete the config directory by typing these commands into the terminal:
cp config/config.inc.php ./
rm -rf config
- You are now ready to connect to MySQL and administer it with phpMyAdmin.
Start a Web browser and enter the following URL, replacing depts.washington.edu/accountname with the base URL to your website: