- On This Page
- Creating a New Account
- Forwarding Your Email to Your UW Exchange Account
- Using Outlook 2011 From Off Campus
- Creating an Account for Your Deskmail
Creating a New Account
To set up Outlook you need an active Internet connection.
- Launch Outlook.
Click the icon next to Exchange Account.
- Enter your UW Exchange account information, and then click Add Account.
E-mail address: email@example.com (replace myuwid with your UW NetID).
Method: User Name and Password.
- User name: firstname.lastname@example.org (replace myuwid with your UW NetID).
Password: Your UW NetID password.
Configure automatically: Make sure it is checked.
- For UW Exchange Online, the following dialog box appears asking if you want the server to configure your settings. If you do not see this dialog box, skip to step 5. If you see this dialog box, check Always use my response for this server, click Allow, and then go on to step 5.
In the Accounts dialog box, you may enter anything in the Account description field. This is the name for the account that appears in Outlook.
- Exit and restart Outlook, which should now be ready for use.
Forwarding Your Email to Your UW Exchange Account
If you currently receive mail in a Deskmail or other account, make sure that your new mail is being forwarded to your UW Exchange account. See Forwarding Your Email to Your UW Exchange Account.
Using Outlook 2011 From Off Campus
Outlook 2011 may attempt to make directory (LDAP) lookups using the campus Active Directory service. This is not permitted from outside the UW network (unless connected via VPN) and so will fail. This impacts directory lookups if done specifically as directory queries. It has no impact on your ability to read or send mail. Using the Check Names function, Outlook finds information about addresses you enter or partially enter, even from off campus. You may also use the Campus Directory via the Web and copy/paste that result into Outlook.
Creating An Account For Your Deskmail
If you create an account for your Deskmail in Outlook, you can see your old Deskmail as well as your new UW Exchange mail. This makes moving messages between your Deskmail and UW Exchange accounts easy. However, never drag folders between accounts; move messages between folders, not folders between accounts.