- On This Page
- Can't log in through Outlook
- Shared calendars show only some events
- Public folder access is lost after migration
- Lync cannot connect to Exchange
- In OWA, users cannot see rooms with Add Rooms
- Cannot log out of OWA
- OneDrive top navigation bar does not show all links
- Exchange contacts not visible in smartphone
- Auto Archive and Conversation Cleanup can cause lost data
UW Exchange, available as a Microsoft Office 365 service, offers significant benefits, but there are a few known issues that users should be aware of.
Can't log in through Outlook
When you open Outlook, your login fails.
Make sure that your UW Exchange Online user name appears in the login dialog box in the following format:
firstname.lastname@example.org (substitute your actual UW NetID for your-uw-net-id)
If you cannot log in with the correct user name, restart your computer and try again.
Note for Outlook 2010 users: Make sure that you are running Outlook 2010 with Service Pack 2 (version 14.0.7015.1000 or later).
Shared calendars show only some events
Shared calendars show some events, but not all.
Workaround (Outlook 2010 and 2013 only)
Turn off Cached Exchange Mode, and then turn it back on. This will refresh the cache and update the events.
Cached Exchange mode is a mode of operation in which Outlook works from a local copy of your mailbox and address book. When your computer is connected to the Internet, the Exchange server updates these local copies periodically. When your computer is not connected to the internet, you can read the cached mail and write new messages, which are stored in your outbox. When you connect to the Internet again, new mail comes into your inbox and the messages in your outbox are sent.
Normally, cached Exchange mode is the preferred configuration, because it allows you to work offline with a recent copy of your mailbox. However, if this problem persists, consider running with Cached Exchange Mode turned off.
To turn off cached Exchange mode
- On the File tab, click Account Settings.
- From the menu, click Account Settings again.
- On the E-mail tab, click Change, and then make sure that the Use Cached Exchange Mode box is not checked. If you need to uncheck the box, you will need to close Outlook and reopen it to make the change take effect.
Lync cannot connect to Exchange
- Close Outlook.
- Close Lync:
- Open Outlook.
In OWA, users cannot see rooms with Add Rooms
In OWA, if you are trying to set up a meeting and you click Add Rooms, you get a message stating that there aren't any rooms available.
If you know part of a room name, you can search for it in the Attendees field in the Scheduling Assistant. For example, many rooms start with UWTECH, so if you enter UWTECH in the Attendees field and then click Search Contacts & Directory, you get a list of rooms with names that start with UWTECH.
To find rooms in OWA
- Click Calendar, and then click new event.
- Click SCHEDULING ASSISTANT.
- At the top-right corner of the screen, click day to display a single calendar day.
- In the Attendees field, enter part of a room name (for example, UWTECH), and then click Search Contacts & Directory.
OWA displays a list of rooms with UWTECH in the name.
- Click a room.
OWA displays Free/Busy information for the selected room.
Cannot log out of OWA
Sometimes the logout fails and your mailbox continues to be displayed.
Click the OneDrive link to switch to UW OneDrive for Business and log out from there.
OneDrive top navigation bar does not show all links
Some users observe that the Outlook, Calendar, and People and links in the OneDrive top navigation bar are missing. This condition could persist for up to 48 hours. Ultimately, the full navigation bar becomes visible, as shown here.
Exchange contacts not visible in smartphone
After migration, contacts are no longer visible and the Contacts folder is empty.
On migration, Exchange creates a second Contacts folder that is empty but is synced to the server. The original Contacts folder is still there and does contain the contacts, but is not synced.
- In Outlook, click the People tab.There are two folders named Contacts: one with contacts and one empty. The phone is trying to sync with the empty folder.
- Move everything from the populated folder to the empty one.
- Delete the original Contact folder
Auto Archive and Conversation Cleanup can cause lost data
Some users have experienced lost data when an Auto Archive is unexpectedly interrupted. Conversation Cleanup is not needed with the Conversation Views in OWA and Outlook 2011, and in Outlook versions where it is available it can lead to lost data, especially with email sent from lists and Deskmail.
Do not use Auto Archive or Conversation Cleanup.