- On This Page
- Set Up an Account in Outlook
- Configure Your Folders
- Configure Outlook to Use the UW Directory
- Additional Information
- To Use Outlook 2011 With UW Email (Deskmail)
- You must be eligible to use UW Email (Deskmail). Students generally are not eligible.
- You must activate your UW Email (Deskmail) Inbox.
- You must forward your personal UW NetID email to UW Email (Deskmail)
Not sure? You can check your eligibility, activate your email account, or forward your email yourself.
Microsoft Outlook 2011 is a personal information manager, personal calendar, and email program included with Microsoft Office 2011 for Macintosh, which is available to the UW through agreements with Microsoft.
Set Up an Account in Outlook
- Start Outlook.
- If you are configuring Microsoft Outlook first time, you will be prompted to create a new mail account. You may see a screen similar to the image below:
- Select "Add Account"
- If you have an existing account in Outlook, begin from "Tools" -> "Accounts" to start the configuration process with the screen
image below. Select the "E-mail Account" in the middle of the screen, or, if necessary, select the "+" at the lower left
to add an account, then select "Email"
A screen similar to the image below will appear, with blank fields -
On this screen enter:
- Your E-mail address, using "your UWNetID@uw.edu"
- The password for your UW NetID
- The "User name" is your UW NetID
- The Type is IMAP
- Incoming server is "your-UWNetID.deskmail.washington.edu"
- You must have SSL turned on to connect to this server
- Outgoing server is "smtp.uw.edu"
- Turn on the option to "Override default port" and enter " and enter 587 as the port number (right of the server name)
- You must have SSL turn on to connect to this server
When done entering these, select "Add Account."
- A screen similar to the image below appears:
- Edit the Account description as desired, whatever you want to call this account within Outlook
Edit the Full name with your name as you wish it to be presented to correspondants
- A screen similar to the image below appears -
- Be sure the "Server" button/tab is selected
- Turn on "Download headers only"
- Turn on "Except in Inbox"
- Turn off "Sync all IMAP folders.."
- Turn on "Use IMAP IDLE.."
- Turn off "Refresh server connection..."
- Type in "mail" for the "IMAP Root Folder"
Account setup is done. You should be able to see your new mail in the Inbox and other folders (e.g., those previously created with Alpine).
However, there is more to do, continue below....
Configure Your Folders
Make Sure All Your Folders Will Be Visible
- Run Outlook and select "Tools" -> "IMAP folders"
- Select "mail" in the middle column to see your folders created with Alpine, if you have been using other
email software, you may also see folders in that same column
- You must "subscribe" to folders to see them in the Outlook main view
- Select a folder you want to see
- If the "Subscribe" button is dimmed out (not selectable) the folder is already subscribed
(you can select "Unsubscribe" to turn off the subscription and hide a folder)
- If the "Subscribe" button is selectable, select it to subscribe to this folder
- Repeat for each folder in the list (there is no "subscribe all")
Set Where to Save Your Sent Mail
- Click "Tools" -> "Accounts", select your UW account and "Advanced" then select the "Folders" button/tab.
The screen will look similar to the image below.
- You'll want to set "Sent", "Drafts", "Junk" and "Trash" to use the appropriate folders on the server as shown above.
- To set the Sent function to "sent-mail" (the Alpine default) select the up/down arrow in the right of the field
on that line, a list of folders on the server appears, select "sent-mail" then "Choose".
- Repeat this process, selecting "Drafts" for Drafts, "junk-mail" for Junk and "Trash" for Trash.
- Select the option to "Move deleted messages to this folder" and to "Never" erase them (automatically), assuming
you'll want to manage that process yourself.
- Restart Outlook for the new settings to take effect.
Configure Outlook to Use the UW Directory
The UW Directory can be used to look up UW email addresses by the name of the person.
- Start Outlook
- Select "Tools" -> "Accounts"
- Select the "+" at the lower/left then "Directory Service" to add a new directory service,
a panel similar to the image below will appear
- For LDAP server enter "directory.washington.edu"
- Select "Add Account"
- Go back to the Accounts pane, your new "Directory Service Account" is there, select it
- Select "Advanced, a panel similar to the image below appears -
- For the Search base enter (carefully...) "o=University of Washington, c=US"
- Turn on the option to use the "simple search filter"
- Select "OK"
- Quit and restart Outlook to make use of the directory service.
Check Eligibility and Activate UW Email (Deskmail) Inbox and Forwarding
- Go to Manage Computing Services to check the status of your email service.
- If "UW Email Inbox" is not listed, then you are not eligible for this service. Most students are not eligible to use UW (Deskmail) Email.
- If "UW Email Inbox" is listed, but not checked, check the box. Then click "Subscribe".
- Go to Manage Email Forwarding to verify and set your UW NetID personal email forward to "UW Deskmail".
- Click on the "Forward to UW Deskmail" checkbox, if is not already chosen, then click on "OK"
- To verify the new settings:
- Open Web Alpine.
- Click "Inbox" in the left column to see the messages in your Inbox. Next, click on "Compose", create a test message, address it to your UW NetID personal address (your_UW_NetID@uw.net) and send the message.
- Wait a few seconds then click "Check Mail" to see your message arrive.
If you encounter problems confirming a working email account with Web Alpine, then ask for help and get that resolved before proceeding with the instructions below.
Summary of Outlook Settings
Configuring any Email client software for use with the UW (Deskmail) Email service requires entering a small number of specific configuration values. For reference, here's a table of the values needed:
|Use These Values to Configure Outlook 2011|
|Your Email address||Your-UW-NetID@uw.edu||Your personal UW NetID email address. Replace Your-UW-NetID with your own UW NetID.|
|IMAP (incoming) server||Your-UW-NetID.deskmail.washington.edu||Where your email is stored. Replace Your-UW-NetID with your own UW NetID.|
|IMAP server connection||Security (SSL) must be on, use default port 993||The IMAP (incoming) server port number should get automatically set to 993 when you select encryption (SSL)|
|Root Folder Path, IMAP default path (prefix) or IMAP Server Directory||Email folders are stored in the "mail" directory on the UW server. Not setting this value may make it difficult to find folders.|
|SMTP (outgoing) server||smtp.uw.edu||How your mail is sent.|
|SMTP server connection||Security (TLS or STARTTLS) must be on, select port 587||The default port (25) may be blocked by 3rd party service providers.
Using the optional port #587 usually works around that issue.
* Where "your_uwnetid" is replaced by your actual UW NetID.
**If using an Internet Service Provider (ISP) OTHER than the UW then use the SMTP server configuration provided by your ISP.