If you have email messages on either UW Outlook Live or UW Google Email that you want to copy to UW Email (also known as UW Deskmail), you can use an email program like Thunderbird to facilitate the transfer.
Please be aware that your UW Email service may have a lower quota than your UW Outlook Live or UW Google Email service. Make sure you have enough storage space available on UW Email to complete the transfer process. If your UW Email service is over quota, the transfer process may not be able to complete and email delivery may be interrupted. You may check your current UW quota using the Deskmail Storage Space page.
Transferring email using this method has two steps. First, you'll need to setup your email program so that it can read both accounts at once. Then, you'll need to use your email program to copy folders between the accounts.
Set up an email program
Transferring email is easy when your source account and target account are configured within the same email program. The links below should help with setting up either Thunderbird or a program of your choosing.
If you would like to use Thunderbird:
- Start by downloading Thunderbird, if you don't already have a favorite email program in mind:
- Next, setup either Google Apps or Windows Live in Thunderbird:
- Finally, setup UW email in Thunderbird.
If you would like to use a different IMAP compatible email program:
- Both Google and Microsoft provide configuration instructions for various email programs. Configure your favorite client using instructions on these pages:
- Next, configure UW email.
Transferring Messages Between Accounts
Once both accounts are visible in the email program of your choosing, simply copy folders or messages from one account to another. We recommend copying instead of moving just to make sure nothing is accidentally lost.