ATC Quickstart: Dragon Naturally Speaking
NaturallySpeaking is a program that allows text input and computer control via speech input.
- Put on the microphone headset located next to the computer and locate the microphone about a half an inch away from the corner of your mouth. (NOTE: If this is a first time use of the program, assistance from the ATC staff is highly recommended.) Otherwise, follow the instructions on the screen to create and train a new user. At the end of the training process, a quick tour will introduce some of the basic features of NaturallySpeaking and how to use them.
- Click on the start button at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
- Click on the ATL folder.
- Click on the NaturallySpeaking icon.
(Note: you can also press <Ctrl> + <ALT> + <N>to start NaturallySpeaking)
Turn on the microphone by clicking the microphone icon in the System Tray or press the + key on the numeric keypad.
Begin dictating into the NaturallySpeaking window or another application. Note that corrections will not be possible for some programs, such as telnet connections to remote systems.
- If NaturallySpeaking misunderstands what you said, say "correct that" to correct your last spoken items. If you want to correct any text visible on the screen, say "correct" followed by the text you wish to change.
- A correction dialog box will appear in which you can either select from the available choices or you can select the part of the text to correct and do so either by typing the correction or spelling it out letter for letter by voice.
- Once you have made the correction, say "choose" followed by the number of the correct choice.
- You can also say "scratch that" to erase the most recently dictated word, phrase or sentence.
Saving Speech Files
NaturallySpeaking continually improves its ability to correctly understand what is dictated. In order for it to improve, it is important that recognition errors are corrected and speech files are saved after each session. To save user speech files:
- Click on the User menu or say "Click User."
- Click Save Speech Files or say "Click Save Speech Files."
- Click the Yes button or say "Click Yes."
Note: Workstations which have Dragon NaturalSpeaking, have a feature that saves your speech file when you log out of the computer so it doesn't get removed, like other files. You can save your profile on an USB flash drive if you want to be able to use your same speech file on other workstations.
Press <ALT> + <F4> or say "Click Close."
To access Help, Right click on the microphone at the bottom-right of the screen and click on "Help." Or, click on the Help menu of the Dragon NaturallySpeaking window or say "Give Me Help."
For additional help with Dragon Naturally Speaking, consult the manual located on the manual shelf or contact ATC staff.