ATL - Index Braille Embosser
The Index Braille Embosser is a printer that produces Braille output. It is connected to PC #4 in the Access Technology Lab.
Duxbury software translates plain text or Microsoft Word (Office 97 or older format) files to Braille format.
Prepare the Embosser
The power switch is located on the left side of the embosser near the power input.
- Open the top of the cabinet.
- Switch the power for the embosser on. You should hear the embosser speak a few seconds after the switch is turned on.
- Lift the red metal front cover of the embosser.
- Paper must not be positioned past the tractor feeds at the front edge of the embosser.
- To adjust the paper, make sure a sheet with a clean edge is loaded into the tractor feed.
- Close the embosser cover and the cabinet.
Single- or Double-Sided
To conserve paper, double-sided printing is the default mode.
- Press the Default Setup A button to change to single-sided printing.
- Press the Default Setup B Button to change to double-sided printing.
Embossing an Existing File:
- From the Start menu, go to ATL, and choose Duxbury (DBT Win)
- Select File, then Open.
- Locate the file you wish to open in the Dialog Box. Click on "OK"
- Choose Translate from the File Menu. This will show the Braille as it will be embossed.
- Choose Emboss from the File Menu. Designate the number of copies desired before clicking on "OK".
- After the embossing is completed, separate the paper at the tractor feed.
- Pull the output from the bottom part of the cabinet to collect the embossed print job.
- Prepare the embosser for the next job by loading the paper as directed above.
- If no more embossing is required, switch off the embosser.
For more information about equipment or software for individuals with disabilities, contact the Access Technology Lab.