Office of Global Affairs
What We Do
The Office of Global Affairs is a central organizational hub, connecting diverse internal and external networks of scholars, students and community leaders engaging in international issues and scholarship.
The Office of Global Affairs (OGA) collaborates with other central administrative units such as Global Operations Support, the Graduate School, Undergraduate Academic Affairs, Student Life and the Office of Research to develop and enhance policies and procedures supporting international education, research, and service programs.
OGA supports the international activities and academic goals of UW departments, Schools and Colleges by:
- Responding to inquiries about the University of Washington from potential international partners
- Identifying and contacting relevant UW administrative and academic units to gauge their interest in connecting with potential international partners visiting the UW
- Advising administrative and academic units in responding to queries from potential international partners
Creating International Opportunities for Students
International Programs and Exchanges (IPE), a unit of OGA, is comprised of international educators dedicated to the promotion and facilitation of global education opportunities. IPE manages international exchange partnerships with host universities, offers several hundred unique and engaging study abroad experiences and sends over 2200 UW students abroad each year. Through its inbound exchange programs, IPE introduces 300 exchange students to the UW community annually.
Fostering Safe Travel
- OGA provides travel registration services to students, faculty and staff of UW’s Seattle, Bothell and Tacoma campuses.
- The OGA Global Emergency Manager monitors overseas travel and responds to overseas emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- OGA coordinates the International Travel Risk Assessment and Safety Committee (ITRASC) to advise the Provost on health and safety issues related to international travel.
Maintaining Overseas Facilities
OGA manages two overseas facilities:
- The Rome Center, an instructional and support facility in historic Palazzo Pio, provides studios, classrooms, accommodations, and other facilities to visiting UW students and faculty.
- The Beijing Center, located in the Haidian District of Beijing’s inner city, provides UW visitors with information, meeting rooms, and video conferencing.