A University of Washington welcome for freshmen, their friends and families.
- Sunday, September 21, 2014,10:30 a.m.
- Alaska Airlines Arena Hec Edmundson Pavilion
- Doors open at 9:30 a.m.
- Following the Convocation at noon on the Rainier Vista Lawn
Freshman Convocation is one of only two occasions where the University President, the Board of Regents, the deans of the 16 Schools and Colleges, and the faculty, gather in a formal academic setting focused on students.
The other, of course, is the graduation ceremony, Commencement. These two events are the seminal “bookend” events of a college career.
At Freshman Convocation you will
- Hear President Young’s vision for your future as a student.
- Find out about your classmates from the Dean of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.
- Get tips on how to make the most of your college experience from your student body president.
- Learn about some of the exciting educational opportunities that await you.
- Join the Husky family!
Following the convocation President Young will host the eighth annual President’s Picnic under a giant tent set up on the Rainier Vista lawn. At the picnic incoming students and their families and friends will have a great opportunity to chat informally with the President and meet many of the University’s faculty members and key administrators. There will be music, delicious food, a special appearance by the Husky marching band and cheerleaders, and lots of fun. Tickets may be ordered when you order your convocation tickets.
A webcast of Freshman Convocation will be available from UWTV following the ceremony.