Student Financial Aid

Getting paid

Work Study Administration
520 Schmitz, Box 355882
Phone: 685-1985
Fax: 616-4862

How you get paid depends on whether you work on or off campus. In most cases you will be paid at your work place. On-campus employees may elect to have their paychecks directly deposited to their bank accounts; some off-campus employers may offer the same service. If you work on-campus you are paid twice a month, the 10th and 25th of each month. If these days fall on a weekend you are paid on either Friday or Monday.

How much you get paid (hourly pay rate) also depends on whether you work on campus or off campus. The range for on-campus pay rates is set by the Employee Relations Office; individual departments assign the pay rate for each job within the Student Employment Pay Schedule. Pay rates for graduate students who hold Work Study Graduate Assistant appointments are determined by the Graduate School. Off-campus pay rates are determined by the employer but must be at least equal to the entry-level rate that the employer would pay a non-Work Study employee doing similar work.

On-Campus Work Study employment requires that you report your hours on an On-Campus time sheet. This is the form that you submit to the Work Study Office to be paid on the designated UW pay days. Time sheets must be signed by both you and your employer, and are for specific pay periods set by the Work Study Office. The Work Study Office will review all time sheets before reporting hours to the Payroll Office, so it is very important that they be accurate and on time. Late time sheets may not be processed until the following pay period. The Work Study payroll schedule is sent to work study employers and is available for students at the Work Study Office. America Reads/America Counts Work Study students tutoring in the public schools will be given special “American Reads/America Counts” timesheets. The signature of an appropriate public school staff member is required and the timesheet is then turned in to the Work Study office for UW payroll processing.

Off-campus employers (with the exception of the U.S. government agencies) pay their Work Study students directly, according to the same schedule used to pay their other employees (must be at least once each month). You should find out what this schedule is when you are hired. After you are paid, the off-campus employer contacts the Work Study Office for reimbursement of a portion of your wages. This reimbursement procedure requires that you sign an off-campus time sheet verifying your hours and the amount of pay you received.

Work Study students employed by U.S. government agencies are paid through the University of Washington payroll system. Paychecks/direct deposits are available on the 10th and 25th of the month at the Office of Student Financial Aid Administrative Office, 520 Schmitz Hall. Agencies are then billed for their portion of your wages. If you take a job with a U.S. government agency, you must come to the Work Study Office to complete payroll documents prior to submission of any time sheets.

NOTE: Work Study earnings are taxable; appropriate taxes will be deducted from your paychecks by your employer. (If you work on-campus, FICA will be deducted during periods of non-enrollment.) Work Study earnings must be reported to the IRS for tax purposes, but will not be counted against your eligibility when reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (see FAFSA instructions or consult with a financial aid counselor).