September 9, 2009
This Week on Capitol Hill, September 8-11
The House and Senate reconvened yesterday, September 8th, after the August District Work Period. First up on the Senate agenda was S 1023, the Travel Promotion Act of 2009. The House took up several measures under suspension of the rules. Both the House and Senate will be in session today and Thursday.
This evening, Wednesday, 9/10, President Obama addresses a joint session of Congress at 8:00pm to discuss health care.
- Senate is expected to vote on S 1023, Travel Promotion Act of 2009
- House will take up several matters under suspension of the rules, including: HR 3165, Wind Energy Research and Development Act of 2009. This bill would create a new wind energy demonstration program at the Energy Department, and pave the way for greater adoption of wind turbine designs, control systems, and production capacity. Also under consideration is HR 445, Heavy Duty Hybrid Vehicle Research, Development and Demonstration Act of 2009.
The House will convene at 10:00am for legislative business and could take up a bill that would permanently authorize appropriations for the Chesapeake Bay Gateways and Watertrails Network, HR 965.
HEARINGS AND MARKUPS
- Full Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition & Forestry hearing on Agriculture, Forestry & Global Warming;
- Full Senate Appropriations Committee markup on Defense Appropriations;
- House Energy & Commerce subcommittee hearing on Medical Isotopes.
- House Natural Resources subcommittee hearing on American Conservation and Clean Energy Independence Act;
- Senate Finance Committee hearing on Oil and Gas Tax Proposals;
- House Judiciary full committee hearing on Competition in Digital Books;
- House Natural Resources full committee markup on Water, Parks, Trails, Scenic Rivers and Wilderness Bills;
- House Select Energy Independence & Global Warming full committee hearing on United Nations Climate Conference