UW Faculty Council Pages
Photos & Slideshows
UW Policy Directory
Faculty Code 42-33. Duties, Responsibilities and Powers of Faculty Councils
- Faculty Councils serve as deliberative and advisory bodies for all matters of University policy, and are primary forums for faculty-administrative interaction in determining that policy. Each Faculty Council within the area of its jurisdiction:
- shall prepare for submission to the Senate through the Executive Committee all legislative proposals pertaining to matters set forth in Section 22-32.A;
- shall prepare for submission to the Senate through the Executive Committee any resolution passed at a faculty meeting falling under Section 21-51.D;
- may on its own initiative prepare legislative proposals or resolutions for submission through the Executive Committee to the Senate;
- shall submit to the Senate Chair any report, including annual reports, for transmission to the Senate through the Executive Committee;
- may receive and make appropriate recommendations, within the limits set forth in Section 22-32.B, concerning any communication from a member of the Faculty;
- may request such information and assistance as may be required in the effective pursuit of its duties;
- may appoint, subject to the approval of the Executive Committee, such ad hoc committees as may be required for the effective pursuit of its work;
- shall be responsible for providing information and for interpreting or obtaining interpretation of policy regarding matters falling under its jurisdiction;
- shall receive reports or recommendations or resolutions from administrative or presidential committees in areas for which it is responsible, and, when appropriate, shall be invited to be represented on those committees.
- The Senate Chair, after consultation with the Executive Committee, shall decide which Faculty Council shall assume jurisdiction when jurisdictional responsibility may be unclear and shall arrange for coordination among Councils in the event that a matter may fall within the responsibility of more than one Council.